change the "Other user" text on the win10 login screen?

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A change the "Other user" text on the win10 login screen?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    js

Participant
    Helping Hand

Is there some way I can put the computername on the win10 login screen? I'm thinking of modifying the binary file that contains "Other user", C:\Windows\System32\en-US\credprovhost.dll.mui, with Powershell. How would you normally find out the structure of a binary file and edit it with Powershell?

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

You can't actually "patch" Windows binaries that way. System File Protection doesn't let you, because hackers. And PowerShell doesn't contain any means for "discovering" how the programmers structured a given file.

js

Participant
    Helping Hand

I've done it with emacs, as long as the string isn't longer. I know it's not the best idea. I wish there were another way. Having "Other user" on every logon screen is also confusing.

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

Best bet: get a job at MS on that product team :).

Participant
    Helping Hand

You also have to be careful to mess around with the OS like that, especially at the Enterprise level. When you start having some fluky issue that only your organization has and you tell support you're hacking system files because you don't like something, you will lose support expeditiously. Microsoft has gone to great lengths to get Windows 10 everywhere, at home, at the office on phones (doh!) to ensure users are comfortable in the OS. I have been bitten before by guys\gals that had to do every reg hack, profile hack, etc. to get 1 sec performance and it is much better to have non-customized OS that is out-of-the-box as possible. My .02

js

Participant
    Helping Hand

I probably won't do this. We don't often call on Microsoft Support. But my impression is that Microsoft products are a forest of bugs to be navigated.

Participant

I have used bginfo in the past to change the wall paper on servers I remote to.  however you want to change the lock screen, this looks interesting but untested as not near my lab https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/LockScreenInfo-Display-2adfc20b

The topic ‘change the "Other user" text on the win10 login screen?’ is closed to new replies.