Changing remote computer registry

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jpulse 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Jpulse
    Participant

I was able to piece together some code, it works just fine on my local machine, but how do I get it to pull the computer names from my text file and use those, instead of performing the change on my machine?

#Ask for Admin Credentials
    if (!([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal][Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] "Administrator")) { Start-Process powershell.exe "-NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File `"$PSCommandPath`"" -Verb RunAs; exit }

Clear-Host

$Computers = Get-Content "C:\Users\JIM\Desktop\computerlist.txt"
    $Path = "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Microsoft XPS Document Writer\DsSpooler"
    $Property = "printShareName"
    $Value = "XPSPrinter"

$results = foreach ($computer in $Computers)
    {
        If (test-connection -ComputerName $computer -Count 1 -Quiet)
        {
            Try {
                Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name $Property -Value $Value -ErrorAction 'Stop'
                $status = "Success"
            } Catch {
                $status = "Failed"
            }
        }
        else
        {   
            $status = "Unreachable"
        }

New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property @{
            'Computer'=$computer
            'Status'=$status
        }
    }

$results |
    Export-Csv -NoTypeInformation -Path "c:\Users\JIM\Desktop\Results.csv"

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Remote registry is tricky since you can't use the registry PSProvider; you're likely going to have to rewrite the whole thing to use WMI/CIM. Unfortunately, Set-Item ain't gonna do it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394600(v=vs.85).aspx has examples in PowerShell.

Alternately, if Remoting is an option, then this is a lot easier for you. LMK if that's the case and I'll change my answer ;).

Jpulse
      Participant

When you say "if Remoting is an option", are you referring to the fact that we can remote desktop into it?

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Lolz, definitely not. RDP is of the devil. PowerShell Remoting; as in, Invoke-Command. Enabled by default on server 2012 and later, I believe (maybe R2?), but you'd have to enable it with Enable-PSRemoting on clients and older servers.

Jpulse
    Participant

*slaps head* I knew that
    From my understanding, in order to enable PSRemoting, i would have to do that on each individual machine, then run a script that would change the registry value, right?

Don Jones
    Keymaster

You can do it with GPO, too, if you're in a domain environment. It's in "Secrets of PowerShell Remoting."

And then, yes, you'd basically just Invoke-Command your existing script (very slightly modified) to a whole list of computers, and sit back and drink whiskey while it runs.

Jpulse
      Participant

Thank you Don, let me mess around with it some more and see what i can do. Appreciate your fast response.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.