Clarification on computer name parameter

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Clarification on computer name parameter

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Participant

I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly and am not missing anything.

param(

[string]$computername = 'localhost'

)

$a = get-WmiObject -Class win32_operatingsystem -ComputerName $computername

$b = Get-WmiObject -Class win32_computersystem -ComputerName $computername

Obviously the above code is not complete.  Once complete I could run the script and pass in the computername parameter and have it run against remote computers.  Is it correct that I can only pass the computername parameter into this script because the commands the script utilizes depend on the -computername parameter?

For example, this would not work:

param(

[string]$computername = 'localhost'

)

$a = set-itemproperty -path c:\GroupFiles\final.doc -name IsReadOnly -value $true  -ComputerName $computername

$b = New-Item c:\hello -ComputerName $computername

If I ran the above ./script1.ps1 -computername win8 , it would not work because the commands in the script do not accept the -computername parameter.  Is that right?

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

You gotta avoid pasting out of "rich" apps, which includes the ISE I think. 🙂 They end up pasting HTML. That's where your extra SPAN tag came from in your post. LMK what you pasted from – I'd like to post a clearer warning about that for other folks. You can also paste into the TEXT tab of the editor, which makes it a lot clearer what's happening, instead of the VISUAL editor tab.

So, you may have things a bit mixed up. I'm not sure, so I'll just cover all the bits.

First, YOUR parameter could be $fred. It doesn't NEED to be $ComputerName. You only use $ComputerName because that's consistent with the way the shell works. I just want to make sure you're clear on that. This is also legal:

param([string]$purple)

get-wmiobject -class win32_bios -computername $purple

There doesn't need to be a "match."

Also, your code isn't quite set up well to work against multiple computers – it will, but it'll be harder to capture errors.

param([string[]]$computername)

foreach ($bozo in $computername)

$a = Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem -ComputerName $bozo

}

Would be a better pattern.

You cannot just tack on a -ComputerName parameter to a command – like Set-ItemProperty – which does not natively support that parameter. You're correct on that. Just because YOUR script has a -ComputerName parameter doesn't confer the ability to any command contained within the script.

Participant

Just as a slight digression I'd add that using 'localhost' as a default value can sometime cause problems. I'd recommend $env:COMPUTERNAME which picks the name of the local machine out of the environmental variables. Same effect but a bit more robust

Participant

You gotta avoid pasting out of “rich” apps, which includes the ISE I think. :) They end up pasting HTML. That’s where your extra SPAN tag came from in your post. LMK what you pasted from – I’d like to post a clearer warning about that for other folks. You can also paste into the TEXT tab of the editor, which makes it a lot clearer what’s happening, instead of the VISUAL editor tab.

Yes it was the ISE.  Good to know for future.

So, you may have things a bit mixed up. I’m not sure, so I’ll just cover all the bits. First, YOUR parameter could be $fred. It doesn’t NEED to be $ComputerName. You only use $ComputerName because that’s consistent with the way the shell works. I just want to make sure you’re clear on that. This is also legal:

param([string]$purple)

get-wmiobject -class win32_bios -computername $purple

There doesn’t need to be a “match.” Also, your code isn’t quite set up well to work against multiple computers – it will, but it’ll be harder to capture errors.

param([string[]]$computername)

foreach ($bozo in $computername)

$a = Get-WmiObject Win32_OperatingSystem -ComputerName $bozo

}

Would be a better pattern. You cannot just tack on a -ComputerName parameter to a command – like Set-ItemProperty – which does not natively support that parameter. You’re correct on that. Just because YOUR script has a -ComputerName parameter doesn’t confer the ability to any command contained within the script.

Got it thanks Don.  This clarifies things for me nicely.

The topic ‘Clarification on computer name parameter’ is closed to new replies.