Cmdlet fails when using pipeline

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Olaf Soyk 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Benny Andersen
    Participant

I'm making a module for my company, where we doing common task with PowerShell. One of the things is to set mailbox permissions and AD permissions on a shared mailbox with just one cmdlet.

My cmdlet is called

Add-NxMailboxPermission

and takes the 3 parameters $Identity, $User and $AutoMapping and accepts pipeline input on $Identity

If I call the cmdlet as follows:

Add-NxMailboxPermission -Identity (Get-Mailbox -Identity ) -User 

it works fine.

If I use pipeline as follows:

Get-Mailbox -Identity  | Add-NxMailboxPermission -User 

only the

Add-ADPermission

part of the cmdlet is executed. No error is generated, but no Mailbox Permission is set.

I think that maybe its param $Identity that I defined as [string[]] but Add-MailboxPermission accepts mailboxidparameter as its Identity parameter.

My cmdlet look likes this:

function Add-NxMailboxPermission {
        [CmdletBinding(SupportsShouldProcess, ConfirmImpact='Medium')]
        param(
           [Parameter(Mandatory, ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName)]
           [string[]] $Identity,

[Parameter(Mandatory)]
           [string]   $User,

[ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
           [switch]   $AutoMapping = $true
        )

process {
            foreach ($i in $identity) {
                if ($PSCmdlet.ShouldProcess("$i for $user", "Setting mailbox permission ('FullAccess')")) {
                    try {
                        Write-Verbose "Setting mailbox permission on $i for $user"
                        Add-MailboxPermission -Identity $i -User $User -AccessRights FullAccess -AutoMapping:$AutoMapping -Confirm:$false -ErrorAction Stop

Write-Verbose "Setting ADPermission on $i for $user"
                        Add-ADPermission -Identity $i -User $User -Extendedrights "Send As" -Confirm:$false -ErrorAction Stop
                    } catch {
                        Write-Warning "Can not set permission on $i for $user"
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

If I change line 5 to:

[Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxIdParameter[]] $Identity

As the same type as

Get-MailBox

return, then I get this error:

Unable to find type [Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxIdParameter].
    At line:8 char:14
    + ...             [Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.MailboxIdParamete ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Microsoft.Excha...lboxIdParameter:TypeName) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : TypeNotFound

Can anyone telle me what is wrong?

Best regards

Benny

Olaf Soyk
    Participant

When you specify "ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName" the output property provided by the cmdlet should have the same name like your input parameter. I would recommend to specify an alias like "sAMAccountName" or "Name".

BTW: What's the difference between Identity and User? I thought that's pretty much the same?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.