Command Line Arguments

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Command Line Arguments

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Participant

Morning Guys

Wondered if you could help. I'm trying to send the following command line arguments to the Cisco Anywhere connect VPN command line without much luck.

I need to pass:

–s < C:\Temp\Connect.txt To 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\vpncli.exe' So the line should like: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\vpncli.exe' –s < C:\Temp\Connect.txt The issue seems to be the < I've tried multiple ways but with no joy, can anyone help me please? Many thanks Barry

Participant

Try this:

& 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\vpncli.exe' --% –s < C:\Temp\Connect.txt

Participant

Hi Richard

Thanks for your reply. I did try that before and it fails with

The '<' operator is reserved for future use. Thanks Barry

Participant

That is strange. PowerShell should ignore what is coming after the –% and pass it to the referenced executable. You're using a double dash?

Participant

Yep def, just doubled checked.

Thanks

That symbol isn't actually passed to the executable. Whatever documentation you're reading probably assumes that you're running it from cmd.exe, where the < operator is input redirection. Without knowing how their app works, the simplest thing to do in PowerShell is probably just to wrap the call in a call to cmd.exe:

cmd.exe /c '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\vpncli.exe" –s < C:\Temp\Connect.txt'

Participant

Hi Dave

That works perfectly!

Many thanks for your help

Barry

Participant

Dave, do you know why –% doesn't work in this situation? My impression always was that PowerShell would pass whatever you typed to the executable?

I thought so as well, but maybe the pipe and/or redirection operators still take precedence. Haven't played with that much.

Participant

Look like a little bug then in the –% escape character. I wonder if you could escape it. But putting it in single quotes is much simpler, as you proposed. 🙂

@Barry: would you be so nice to try this, to satisfy my curiosity? 🙂 :

& 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\vpncli.exe' --% –s `< C:\Temp\Connect.txt

Participant

Hi Richard

Tried the suggested change and back to the first error:

The '<' operator is reserved for future use. Thanks Barry

Participant

Thanks Barry! Seems indeed that redirection characters cannot be parsed with the –% escape character as a string. Seems a bug to me.

The topic ‘Command Line Arguments’ is closed to new replies.