Compare 2 files and get line number

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Shelly Tomar Shelly Tomar 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Shelly Tomar
    Shelly Tomar
    Participant

I want to compare 2 xml files. Is there any way that I can get line numbers along with the difference result?

$book1=Get-Content "D:\Site1\web.config"
    $book1=$book1 | Foreach {$_.Trim()}
    $book2=Get-Content "D:\Site2\web.config"
    $book2=$book2 | Foreach {$_.Trim()}
    Compare-Object $book1 $book2 | Format-Table InputObject, SideIndicator, @{Label="Line Number";Expression={$_.InputObject.ReadCount}}

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

Hey Shelly. What you are asking for could get a bit complicated. If you want to do spot checks of something like this, I would use Beyond Compare, it's free and gives you a GUI to do what you want. If you are trying to make sure all of the servers have the same configuration, you should look at Desired State Configuration versus something manual.

However, to give a basic example, Get-Content places everything in an array. So, you would use the index of the array to compare the values on the same line on the file. Indexes start at zero versus 1, so we subtract from the count and to get the line number we would add the 1 back:

Test.txt

Red
    Blue
    White
    Yellow

Test2.txt

Red
    Blue
    Brown
    Yellow

Script:

$file1 = Get-Content C:\Temp\test.txt
    $file2 = Get-Content C:\Temp\test2.txt

for ($i = 0; $i -le ($file1.Count - 1); $i++) {
        if ($file1[$i] -ne $file2[$i]) {
            "Line {0} doesn't match" -f ($i + 1)
        }
    }

Output:

Line 3 doesn't match

Profile photo of Shelly Tomar
    Shelly Tomar
    Participant

It did not work for xml files. However this worked-
    $abc = gc .\z.txt | %{$i = 1} { new-object psobject -prop @{LineNum=$i;Text=$_}; $i++}
    $cde = gc .\x.txt | %{$i = 1} { new-object psobject -prop @{LineNum=$i;Text=$_}; $i++}
    Compare-Object $abc $cde -Property Text -PassThru -IncludeEqual

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.