Comparison with passwordlastset and whencreated

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Comparison with passwordlastset and whencreated

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

js

Participant
3 months ago.

• Author

Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Trying to pull some data from AD and filter out users who have changed their temporary password but comparison operators do not seem to be working correctly for passwordlastset and whencreated we get data that should be filtered out. If they are the same they should be filtered out and they show up in the csv exactly the same.

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "OU=Bob,OU=Dole,DC=bob,DC=dole,DC=com" -properties * |
    select Givenname,Surname,Name,SamAccountName,Enabled,passwordlastset,@{Name="LastLogonTimeStamp";Expression={([datetime]::FromFileTime($_.LastLogonTimeStamp))}},whenCreated |
    Where {$_.whenCreated -gt $datecutoff} | Where {$_.passwordlastset -notlike $_.whenCreated} |

Export-Csv ('C:\Powershell-Scripts\New-Student-Logon\New-Student-Logon.csv') -NoType >> $log

Participant
    Topics: 23
    Replies: 146
    Helping Hand

-notlike requires wildcards

I believe you should be using -notequal

js

Participant
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 619
    Helping Hand

I think you mean -ne. passwordlastset and whencreated are only equal when every datetime property in them is equal, including Kind and Ticks.

Participant

I think you mean -ne. passwordlastset and whencreated are only equal when every datetime property in them is equal, including Kind and Ticks.

This is my issue despite the fields not displaying it, milliseconds are use in the comparison but if you use .totalsecounds you can see the fields are different by micro amounts. These accounts were auto made by a third party product in bulk which seems to cause them have a delay I could not replicate making individual accounts via AD

js

Participant
      Helping Hand

How about comparing the less precise string versions of the dates:

| Where {$_.passwordlastset.datetime -ne $_.whenCreated.datetime}

Participant

well I went a different route:

but I was able to fix my code by stripping out the extra data with following logic. It also let decrease precision more in case the minute or second rolled over.

Where-object { ( $_.passwordlastset.tostring("yyyyMMddhhmm") – $_.whencreated.tostring("yyyyMMddhhmm") ) -gt 1 }

js

Participant
    Helping Hand

I was trying to put everything inside the filter, but I was unsuccessful. I think LastLogonDate is the datetime version of LastLogonTimeStamp.

You may want to take the absolute value of the difference, in case it's whencreated that's a little bigger.

Where-object { [math]::abs( $_.passwordlastset.tostring("yyyyMMddhhmm") – 
      $_.whencreated.tostring("yyyyMMddhhmm") ) -gt 1 }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.