Composite DSC resources with parameters

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Westerlund 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Bas Tichelaar
    Participant

Hi all,

I'm having troubles supplying a composite resource with parameters. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22250744/powershell-dsc-composite-resources-with-parameters-not-working. Has anyone encountered the same problem?

Thanks!

Robert Westerlund
    Participant

I have tried running the following, based on your example, and it works perfectly fine on the test computer (WIn8.1).

baseconfig.schema.psm1

Configuration BaseConfig
    {    
        PARAM (
            [Parameter(Mandatory = $true)]
            [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
            [string]$Teststring
        )

File testfile
        {
            DestinationPath = "C:\testfile.txt";
            Contents = $teststring;
        }
    }

testconfig.ps1:

import-module baseconfig -force

configuration testconfig
    {
        import-dscresource -modulename baseconfig

node localhost
        {
            BaseConfig common
            {
                TestString = "some value for the test string"
            }
        }
    }

testconfig

Robert Westerlund
    Participant

I've asked for a little more detailed information on your stackoverflow question, to see if I can successfully recreate the issue locally on my computer. Could you please edit your question there with the above mentioned information and the information I request in my comment there.

Also, it'd be nice if you'd provide a name on stackoverflow instead of being named 'user1559544'. 🙂

Bas Tichelaar
    Participant

Hi Robert, thanks for your help. I changed my name and added more details 🙂

Robert Westerlund
    Participant

Wrote a blog post based on your StackOverflow question. The blog post holds a guide on creating a composite DSC configuration. Thought I should post a link to the blog post here, in case someone finds this thread through an internet search.

Bas Tichelaar
    Participant

Hi Robert,

I did exactly that. But when running it, it complains about the parameters:

cmdlet BaseConfig at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    Teststring: 
    PSDesiredStateConfiguration\node : The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty, and then try the command again.
    At E:\Dev\DSCResources\Modules\testconfig.ps1:7 char:5
    +     node localhost
    +     ~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : MetadataError: (:) [PSDesiredStateConfiguration\node], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ArgumentIsEmpty,PSDesiredStateConfiguration\node
    Errors occurred while processing configuration 'testconfig'.
    At C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PSDesiredStateConfiguration.psm1:2088 char:5
    +     throw $errorRecord
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (testconfig:String) [], InvalidOperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : FailToProcessConfiguration

BTW, I'm running Windows 2012R2 with all the latest updates. How important is the directory structure? I'm running the modules from a path included in the $psModulePath environment variable, in a subdir Modules\BaseConfig:

E:\Dev\DSCResources\Modules\testconfig.ps1
    E:\Dev\DSCResources\Modules\BaseConfig\baseconfig.psd1
    E:\Dev\DSCResources\Modules\BaseConfig\baseconfig.schema.psm1

Is this the correct way? Moving the tree to C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\BaseConfig did not help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.