Composite Resource DependsOn bug

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 3 years ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of GLibA
    GLibA
    Participant

There is a bug when using a composite resource which doesn't allow you to specify the DependsOn attribute. I posted this on the MSDN Powershell blog here

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2014/02/25/reusing-existing-configuration-scripts-in-powershell-desired-state-configuration.aspx

For a workaround if I structure my configuration in different node blocks will they run sequentially instead of parallel?

For example

configuration ServerConfigurations 
    {
           Import-DscResource -ModuleName CompositeResources -Name RoleConfiguration,

node $Allnodes.NodeName
       { 
          File TestFolder
            {
                Ensure          = "Present"
                Type            = "Directory"
                DestinationPath = "C:\Test"
            }
       }

node $Allnodes.NodeName
       {    
             RoleConfiguration ServerRoles
               {
               Roles = $Node.Role
               }
       }
    }

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

If it's a bug, you should log it in Connect.Microsoft.com – that's where the team looks for bugs, more so than a blog.

You'd have to test your theory to see if it worked.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

It should. What would be better is to use the DSC Diagnostics module from Microsoft to start a trace, run Start-, and then examine the trace log. That's much more detailed.

I think the problem with having multiple node blocks is that each node block produces a MOF, and you can only have one MOF per machine. Aside from DependsOn, there isn't much control over order-of-execution when DSC is evaluating the MOF. Obviously, the bug makes that not work... but I don't think there's a real workaround for that.

Profile photo of GLibA
    GLibA
    Participant

Thanks for the link, i added it as a comment to Steve Murawski's bug https://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/details/812943/dsc-cannot-set-dependson-to-a-nested-configuration since it seems to be related.

Would looking at the verbose logging that outputs on the Start-DscConfiguration cmdlet verify what is being done sequentially?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.