compress & move files, filtering by year & month YYYYMMDD in filename.

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A compress & move files, filtering by year & month YYYYMMDD in filename.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 9

Hi Guys

You have previously help me with some code that I needed, without me having a wast knowledge about PowerShell.
    So I am hoping you can do it again. 🙂

I am looking to make a script that can help me clean up folders containing files that are generated daily going back to 2016, there are now millions of files pr. folder. And therefore I can either make a simple script that can find files containing part of the file name and then compressing those files and move them.

But if I wanted to compress and move files for each month going back to 2016, and this needs to be done on a lot of folders, each month.  I would normally do this by manually typing in (finding all files *_201601*.csv) and next (find all files *_201602*.csv) and so on for all month all years going back.

I was hoping to automate this process 🙂

• Find a year & month in a filename -> in this case 20180802 ( File -> 0016000449_00168737_valuereport_20180827104607_2105.csv)
    • Use 201808 to find all files containing *201808* in a specific folder.
    • Compress these files and move them, thereafter delete them.

Simple enough, if I just want to do this, I could manually change the date for each month going back to 2016.

But I know how to do that. So what I need is for Powershell to:

• Do the above action, by year&month automatically. Powershell should find all 201808 files, compress/move, and move on to 201809. repeat for 201810 and then on and on until the folder almost is empty.
    • Reson, why I write almost, is that I only need to this action for all files that are older than 90 days (3 months) so something like < =today()-90

I know I am asking a lot, but maybe some links for other similar questions, or solutions would also be helpful.
    I just haven´t been able to find a similar question for this specific need on Google.

Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1530
    Helping Hand

We're used to be better when we get something to tweak. What do you have so far? Please show you code. Powershell.org is not a free code writing service – you know that, right? We expect you to do your own research before and at least try to solve your problem by yourself.

Participant

Hi Olaf

That is fair enough, did not know how much I could ask you guys for help.
    Hang on and I will get back with something that makes more sense, and with research, time put into it 🙂

Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 100
    Helping Hand

Hello Danky,

Just following up to determine if you have figured out the solution or you still need assistance.

Participant

Hi Jason

Thank you for the followup.
    I found another solution and did not know how to remove or close this ticket.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.