Configuration files getting too big

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Jones David Jones 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jose Aparicio
    Jose Aparicio
    Participant

Hi,

We recently started using DSC in our company to setup our servers from scratch. This is just a proof of concept so I haven't setup any pull server, I just run the DSC manually. It is working like a charm but I experience that the configuration file can easily get pretty long and it is difficult to keep overview about what is going on.

I decided to split the configuration into several smaller configuration files. One to define windows features and another for IIS setup in addition to some custom powershell scripts to setup users, certificates and permissions. I have the feeling that this is not the right approach, but one big DSC file doesn't feel like a good idea either. Is there any kind of configuration inheritance in DSC?

Regards.

Profile photo of David Jones
    David Jones
    Participant

Are you talking about the configuration data or the script?

I wrote an group of articles about setting up the DSC tools on the PowerShell.org GitHub repo. It brakes the config data up into smaller files and allows for inheritance.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.