Connect-MsolService -EA stop

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Potter Dan Potter 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Dan Davis
    Dan Davis
    Participant

I am trying to stop my script if my connection to O365 fails with -EA Stop but not having any luck so far.

my code

Try {
                    Write-Verbose 'Connecting to $MSOLServer'
                    # Create the session to MSOLServer
                    $S = New-PSSession -ComputerName $MSOLServer -Credential $MSOLServerCredImport -EA Stop
                    # Import the O365 cmdlet on the $MSOLServer
                    Invoke-Command -Session $S {Import-Module MSOnline} -EA stop
                    # Export the $MSOLServer cmdlet from remote to local powershell instance
                    Import-PSSession -Session $S -Module MSOnline -AllowClobber -EA Stop
                    # Connect to MSOnline
                    Connect-MsolService -Credential $MSOLOnlineCredImport -EA stop
                } Catch {
                    Write-Verbose 'Cant connect to O365 server or O365'
                    # If we are logging write it to the log
                    if ($Log) {
                        'Cant connect to O365 server or O365' | Out-File $ErrorLogFile_FP -Append
                        # Pull back some of the detaill PS errors for the logs
                        "$_" | Out-File $ErrorLogFile_FP -Append
                    }
                    # If the connection fails there is no point in continuing
                    Write-Verbose 'Cant continue without a session so bye bye'
                    If ($log) {
                        'Cant continue without a session so bye bye' | Out-File $ErrorLogFile_FP -Append
                    }
                    Exit
                }   

The -EA Stop works on all lines apart from

Connect-MsolService -Credential $MSOLOnlineCredImport -EA stop

If I pass the wrong credentials I get the error

Unable to authenticate your credentials. Make sure that your user name is in the format: @. If this issue persists, contact Support.
    + CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (:) [Connect-MsolService], MicrosoftOnlineException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 0x80048862,Microsoft.Online.Administration.Automation.ConnectMsolService

But the script continues rather than dropping into the catch and then exiting the script

anyone else have the same problem?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

It's possible the cmdlet isn't throwing a terminating exception that PowerShell can actually catch. That's unfortunately a cmdlet decision decision and not necessarily something you can work around, unfortunately. I'm a bit surprised that New-PSSession isn't barfing when you pass a bad credential.

Are you sure New-PSSession works with an incorrect credential, but doesn't toss an exception?

Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

try catch works for me. It's really simple to not execute following code in powershell by setting a random variable and testing the condition.

Try{

Connect-MsolService -Credential $credentials}

Catch{
    $e -eq $true}

if($e -ne $true){'rest of code'}

Dan Potter
    Participant

This is exactly how I do it although I don't worry about executing the rest of the code as it won't do anything anyways.

Try{

Connect-MsolService -Credential $credentials}

Catch{

write-eventlog -LogName "O365 User Script" -Source "O365 User Script" -EventId 55559 -EntryType Error -Category 0 -Message "Could not connect to MSOLService"}

Dan Davis
    Participant

Don,

-EA stop works for the lines

$S = New-PSSession -ComputerName $MSOLServer -Credential $MSOLServerCredImport -EA Stop
    Invoke-Command -Session $S {Import-Module MSOnline} -EA Stop
    Import-PSSession -Session $S -Module MSOnline -AllowClobber -EA Stop

its only the connect-msolservice i am having problems with

Connect-MsolService -Credential $MSOLOnlineCredImport -EA Stop

perhaps, as you say, that the error is not catch-able. But if others can get it to work I will keep looking.

Dan,
    since my connect-msol line never seems to drop into the catch loop I cant change a value there.

Cheers.

Dan Potter
    Participant

sorry I used -eq when it should have been =, I always do that:-)

Try{

Connect-MsolService -Credential $credentials -ea 'stop'}

Catch{
    $e = $true}

Dan Davis
    Participant

In case anyone else comes across this, I never go it working so I am doing this as a work around. Connect up to O365 then,

# Because -EA stop is not working. Try a MSOL command if it fails assume there has been a problem and exit
            $CheckO365 = Get-MsolDomain -EA SilentlyContinue
            if ($CheckO365) {
                # Connected to O365
                Write-Verbose 'Connected to O365'
            } else {
                Write-Verbose 'Cant connect to O365 server or O365'
                # If we are logging write it to the log
                # If the connection fails there is no point in continuing
                Write-Verbose 'Cant continue without a session so bye bye'
                Exit
            }

Dan Potter
    Participant

I don't know why you're not catching an error. This is what I get when I enter a bad password.

PS H:\> Connect-MsolService -Credential $credentials -ea 'stop'
    Connect-MsolService : Exception of type 'Microsoft.Online.Administration.Automation.MicrosoftOnlineException' was
    thrown.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Connect-MsolService -Credential $credentials -ea 'stop'
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (:) [Connect-MsolService], MicrosoftOnlineException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 0x800488F2,Microsoft.Online.Administration.Automation.ConnectMsolService

PS H:\> $error[0]
    The running command stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to
    Stop: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Online.Administration.Automation.MicrosoftOnlineException' was thrown.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.