Connect-PSSession from server running powershell 5

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of blueMahakala
    blueMahakala
    Participant

I have created remote disconnected pssession on a large number of servers. When I attempt to reconnect them, I receive this error:

'Windows Powershell does not support connect operation on the protocolversion 2.3 negotiated by the client. Make sure the client is compatible with the build 6.2.9200.17065 and the protocol version 2.2 of Windows Powershell'

I created the remote sessions from a server running powershell 5.0.10586.117, and the remote servers are running Server 2012 with powershell 1.

Before I upgraded my remote admin machine to powershell 5, I could connect remote disconnected pssessions without errors.

Is there a sessionOption or some other workaround I can use?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The remote servers are definitely not running PowerShell 1. PowerShell 1 didn't have Remoting, and doesn't run on Win2012.

They're likely running v2, but you'd need to check. The older Remoting protocol in v2 doesn't support disconnect/connect. Run $PSVersionTable on both machines and paste the results here – that'll help diagnose things.

Bottom line, though, if the two copies of PowerShell aren't connecting over a compatible version of the protocol, then there's nothing you can do to change this.

blueMahakala
    Participant

Hi Don, thanks for the reply. Here's the output:

PSVersion: 3.0
    WSManStackVersion: 3.0
    SerializationVersion: 1.1.0.1
    CLRVersion: 4.0.30319.18449
    BuildVersion: 6.2.9200.17065
    PSCompatibleVersion: {1.0,2.0,3.0}
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion: 2.2

My admin machine, which I'm connecting from, has PSRemotingProtocolVersion = 2.3

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Seems odd. v3 supported disconnect/reconnect. However, it apparently isn't working between those two different versions. Not much you can do about it, unfortunately. It's possible it's a bug, actually.

blueMahakala
    Participant

Don, nothing's changed on the target server side, only on my admin workstation, where I installed WMF5.

If this is indeed a bug, how do I let MS know?

Don Jones
    Keymaster

The UserVoice page for PowerShell.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.