Console vs Script (winrs)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stefan Werner Stefan Werner 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Stefan Werner
    Stefan Werner
    Participant

So, when I type the following into a console session it executes without error:

$cmd = {winrs.exe /r:$computer powershell.exe -noprofile -command {Get-ChildItem -Path 'wsman:\localhost\plugin'}}
    $Plugins = & $cmd

But when I drop this code into a script and run it from the same console, it fails giving the following error:

Winrs.exe: Unrecognized switch "-noninteractive"
    Use "winrs -?" to obtain the usage information

I am not really sure how to get around this. I have used winrs in scripts in the past and have never come across this. A Google search also didn't reveal anything helpful.

Thoughts?

The reason I am not using Invoke-Command is simply that the particular situation which this code is intended for assumes PowerShell Remoting is not functioning.

Profile photo of Robbie Courtney
    Robbie Courtney
    Participant

Hmm that is interesting. When I try it in the ISE, I get the same thing, it seems to work in the PowerShell Console though, but seems to launch some sort of shell in the background.

I suspect that winrs.exe is launching as an interactive console app which is not supported in the ISE when launching or while launching as a script.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2009/02/04/console-application-non-support-in-the-ise.aspx

Im guessing it works in the PowerShell Console because it supports console apps. I don't know much about winrs.exe, but doing a wins.exe /? I can't see an option to force it to run in a non interactive mode.

Stefan Werner
    Participant

While that sounds like a perfectly plausible explanation, the following two lines are from an older script of mine which works fine:

winrs /r:$computer powershell -noprofile -command {register-pssessionconfiguration microsoft.powershell -NoServiceRestart -Force}
    winrs /r:$computer powershell -noprofile -command {register-pssessionconfiguration microsoft.powershell32 -NoServiceRestart -Force}

Confusing isn't it. 🙂

Robbie Courtney
    Participant

hmm. Ok so I played around with this some. It seems like the first code you posted works fine when I launch the script from the PowerShell Console. On my test VM I am using PowerShell version 3.0. It does not work in the ISE if i put the code in the console or save it and launch it as a script, I get the same error as you, which is expected since the ISE does not work with interactive console apps. Where are you launching the script?

This is the code i used. I saved it as a script and ran it in the PowerShell Console

$computer = $env:COMPUTERNAME
    $cmd = {winrs.exe /r:$computer powershell.exe -noprofile -command {Get-ChildItem -Path 'wsman:\localhost\plugin'}}
    $Plugins = & $cmd
    $Plugins

Stefan Werner
    Participant

I ran the script from the console.

Also, here are my two functions. As you can see they pretty match what you posted above. My laptop is running PowerShell 5 and most of our workstations are on on PS4.

Function Get-WsManPlugins
    {
        Param ( [string]$address )

$cmd = { winrs.exe /r:$address powershell.exe -noprofile -command { Get-ChildItem -Path 'wsman:\localhost\plugin' } }
        $Plugins = & $cmd

Return $Plugins    
    }

Function Get-WsManListener
    {

$cmd = { winrs.exe /r:$address powershell -noprofile -command { Get-ChildItem -Path 'wsman:\localhost\listener' } }
        $Listener = & $cmd

Return $Listener
    }
    Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith
    Participant

It does not like the {} you are putting around the command parameter. The below works for me using PS 4.0

$computer = "workstation"
    $cmd = {winrs.exe /r:$computer powershell.exe -noprofile -command Get-ChildItem -Path 'wsman:\localhost\plugin'}
    $Plugins = & $cmd
    $Plugins

Robbie Courtney
    Participant

I just spun up a vm, windows 8.1 with April preview of powershell v5, and it works as well running the script in the PowerShell Console.

saved this as a script and ran it

Function Get-WsManPlugins
    {

$cmd = { winrs.exe /r:$address powershell.exe -noprofile -command { Get-ChildItem -Path 'wsman:\localhost\plugin' } }
        $Plugins = & $cmd

Return $Plugins    
    }

Function Get-WsManListener
    {

$cmd = { winrs.exe /r:$address powershell -noprofile -command { Get-ChildItem -Path 'wsman:\localhost\listener' } }
        $Listener = & $cmd

Return $Listener
    }

Get-WsManListener $env:COMPUTERNAME
    Get-WsManPlugins $env:COMPUTERNAME

Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith
    Participant

You can also do it this way

$computer = "workstation"
    $cmd = {winrs.exe /r:$computer powershell.exe -noprofile -command ""}
    $Plugins = & $cmd
    $Plugins

Hum wordpress is stripping out the code

Inside the "" after the -command is an & followed by a space and then this:
    {Get-ChildItem -Path 'wsman:\localhost\plugin'}

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

When you wrap curly brackets around a command, it is converted to a ScriptBlock:

PS C:\Users\Rob> (  {}  ).GetType()

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType                                                                                                                                      
    -------- -------- ----                                     --------                                                                                                                                      
    True     True     ScriptBlock                              System.Object  

Scriptblocks are typically used with Invoke-Command. This article discusses some of the options for calling command-line tools in Powershell: http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2012/03/03/using-windows-powershell-to-run-old-command-line-tools-and-their-weirdest-parameters.aspx

Stefan Werner
    Participant

So, I walked away for a while, came back ran the code (no changes) and it works perfectly fine now. WTF?

Thanks for everyone's contributions. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.