Consolidate many PST file into single pst file

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  James Britton 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

by hkhan at 2012-09-24 19:38:33

Hi
    I'm trying to find out a way to merge many pst files into single pst file via powershell or vba. I've installed powershell & exchange support tools on my machines. i'm trying to merge many pst files into single pst file without exchange svr access actually because i don't have exchange admin privilege in my company. do you think it's possible ?

otherwise my colleague will buy new machine to do this job manually in outlook gui – open pst file one by one and copy them and paste them into single pst file. as IT, i don't want to do this job honestly. can u help to find out some programming way to process this request without exchange admin privileges ?

by RichardSiddaway at 2012-09-25 03:01:35

Only way I can think of doing it is to open the PST files in Outlook and copy the data into a single PST file

You probably can script it using the Outlook COM object model

by poshoholic at 2012-09-25 08:27:50

It might be worth looking into commercial tools for this as well, if you haven't already. Here's one I found with a quick search:

http://www.pstmerge.com/

I cannot endorse this tool because I have never used it. Nor am I affiliated with the company in any way. And I don't know whether or not this tool requires admin access, but at a glance on their website it doesn't seem to.

My point is, there may very well be an inexpensive tool out there that solves this problem for a reasonable cost. Taking this one as an example, it is much, much cheaper than buying a new machine for the task. It seems they even have a money-back guarantee. You would have to do your own due diligence to determine if it is appropriate for what you want to do though.

by hkhan at 2012-09-25 18:05:47

thanks richard, kirk,

I'm thinking of outlook vba as alternative way. a bit hard for me to figure out outlook vba. will do some google. but no way for powershell to do this task ?

by poshoholic at 2012-09-26 19:34:27

PowerShell supports COM, and there is a COM object model for Outlook, so it may be possible to do it with PowerShell, sure. It's a matter of deciding whether or not you want to figure it out, and working through that effort.

Malfreds
    Participant

If you want to merge many PST file into Single PST file then I suggest you to use Outlook PST Merge software, this software is very helpful, you can download this software using below Link –
    http://www.datavare.com/software/outlook-pst-merge-expert.html

James Britton
    Participant

I don't think we really need a 3rd party tool to combine PST files. I do it manually without using any such paid software. I just use MS Outlook client, that's it. See what I do here:

* First, I create a new PST file. It would be the main file into which I'm going to merge two or multiple PST files.
    * After that, I use the Outlook's Import feature for importing mailbox content from two or multiple PST files into the main PST file.

I know it could be a time-consuming task, but there's no harm in doing it. In fact, it can save my money. I found this information here in this article – http://wordpress.semnaitik.com/2013/06/19/merge-pst-files-outlook-2010/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.