Convert 6 digit number to 3 separate Hex numbers

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

by OliAdams at 2013-04-01 10:13:33

I am trying to split the number returned from querying windows security center productstate. I need to split the decimal number into 3 separate hex numbers. I am using:

#Extract the productstate code from wmi
    $AntiSpywareState = Get-WmiObject -Namespace Root\SecurityCenter2 -Class AntiSpywareProduct |
    Select-Object -ExpandProperty ProductState

#Convert the code to a hex number
    $AntiSpywareState = ([System.Convert]::ToInt32($AntiSpywareState, 16))

#Add the leading 0
    $AntiSpywareState = "{0:d6}" -f $AntiSpywareState

Should I have to add the 0 here or am I doing something wrong? Thanks

by ps_gregg at 2013-04-01 20:42:56

Hi OliAdams,

The returned value from the Get-WmiObject line is a "System.UInt32". So with that value you only need to use .NET string formatting.

#Extract the productstate code from wmi
    $AntiSpywareState = Get-WmiObject -Namespace Root\SecurityCenter2 -Class AntiSpywareProduct |
    Select-Object -ExpandProperty ProductState

# Using .NET string formatting - Convert Int to a Hex number
    $AntiSpywareHex = '{0:X6}' -f $AntiSpywareState

the 'X' format specifier converts a number to a hexadecimal string. The '6' specifies how many characters to return in the string ( ie. 0:X8 would return '00061100' )

Hope that helps

-Gregg

by nohandle at 2013-04-02 02:32:06

Hi, just be aware that the uint is 32bit long so the maximum value takes 8 (32/4) places in hex not just 6.
    ('{0:X}' -f ([uint32]]

On side note: The conversion by the 0x prefix in powershell converts the number to integer rather than unsigned integer, another thing to be aware of.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.