Converting a WMI script to CIM (SCCM 2012 Client)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andrew Palmer Andrew Palmer 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Andrew Palmer
    Andrew Palmer
    Participant

I want to trigger software updates to install via SCCM 2012 which works fine with WMI but I can't get the CIM equivalent to work. Hoping someone can help.

WMI that works..

$a = get-wmiobject -query "SELECT * FROM CCM_SoftwareUpdate" -namespace "ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK"
    ([wmiclass]'ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK:CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManager').InstallUpdates($a)

CIM that does not...

$a = Get-CimInstance -Query "SELECT * FROM CCM_SoftwareUpdate" -Namespace "ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK"
    ([cimclass]'ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK:CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManager').InstallUpdates($a)

Cannot convert the "CCM_SoftwareUpdate (UpdateID = "Site_xxxxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx...)" value of type "Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimInstance#ROOT/ccm/ClientSDK/CCM_SoftwareUpdate" to 
    type "System.Management.ManagementObject".
    At line:1 char:1
    + $a = Get-CimInstance -Query "SELECT * FROM CCM_SoftwareUpdate" -Names ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : MetadataError: (:) [], ArgumentTransformationMetadataException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : RuntimeException

Cannot convert the "ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK:CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManager" value of type "System.String" to type "Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimClass".
    At line:2 char:1
    + ([cimclass]'ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK:CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManager').InstallUp ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConvertToFinalInvalidCastException

I don't know if any of the below helps but figured I would post it since most people won't have the SCCM 2012 client installed. I'm sort of out of my depth

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj155391.aspx

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-CimClass -ClassName CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManager -Namespace "ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK" | select -ExpandProperty Cimclassmethods

Name                              ReturnType Parameters                                  Qualifiers           
    ----                              ---------- ----------                                  ----------           
    InstallUpdates                        UInt32 {CCMUpdates}                                {implemented, static}
    CancelDownload                        UInt32 {}                                          {implemented, static}
    PostponeUpdatesToNonBusinessHours     UInt32 {CCMUpdates, RebootImmediatelyAfterInstall} {implemented, static}
    SetAllUpdatesUserExperience           UInt32 {UserExperience}                            {implemented, static}
    GetAllUpdatesUserExperience           UInt32 {UserExperience}                            {implemented, static}

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

Take a look at this blog: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2014/01/30/invoking-cim-methods-with-powershell/.

Basically, you can't call methods the same way using CIM, try something like:

$sup = Get-CimInstance -ClassName CCM_SoftwareUpdate -Namespace "ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK";
    Invoke-CimMethod -InputObject $sup -MethodName InstallUpdates;

Andrew Palmer
      Participant

I've tried that but just get.

Invoke-CimMethod : Method "InstallUpdates" not found
      At line:1 char:1
      + Invoke-CimMethod -InputObject $sup -MethodName InstallUpdates
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (CCM_SoftwareUpd...-F4E3E07E18...):CimInstance) [Invoke-CimMet
         hod], CimException
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80041002,Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimCmdlets.InvokeCimMet
         hodCommand

I suppose that's because it's CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManager rather than CCM_SoftwareUpdate that is used to do the installation.

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

This looks like it should point you in the right direction. It appears when you do the invoke you have to reference the namespace, etc. to find the method:

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

Your original code

$a = get-wmiobject -query "SELECT * FROM CCM_SoftwareUpdate" -namespace "ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK"
    ([wmiclass]'ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK:CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManager').InstallUpdates($a)

can't be converted directly.

[wmiclass] is a type accelerator for System.management.Class (see page 88 of PowerShell and WMI) and should be used to create new instances of a PowerShell class

There isn't a [cimclass] type accelerator

You need to invoke the method of the class when using the CIM cmdlets so something like

$sup = Get-CimInstance -ClassName CCM_SoftwareUpdate -Namespace 'ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK'
    Invoke-CimMethod -ClassName CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManage -MethodName InstallUpdates -Namespace 'ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK' -Arguments $sup

should work

Andrew Palmer
      Participant

Thanks for both replying. It looks like I have gone full circle though from when I posted this on Reddit. This should be simple but just doesn't work.

Invoke-CimMethod : Cannot bind parameter 'Arguments'. Cannot convert the "CCM_SoftwareUpdate (UpdateID = "xxxxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx...)" value of type 
      "Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimInstance#ROOT/ccm/ClientSDK/CCM_SoftwareUpdate" to type "System.Collections.IDictionary".
      At line:2 char:125
      + ... odName InstallUpdates -Namespace 'ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK' -Arguments $sup
      +                                                                      ~~~~
          + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Invoke-CimMethod], ParameterBindingException
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimCmdlets.InvokeCimMethodCommand

I tried something like this but it also fails.

$sup = Get-CimInstance -ClassName CCM_SoftwareUpdate -Namespace 'ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK'
      $sup | ForEach {
          $Arguments = @{
              ArticleID = $PSItem.ArticleID
              BulletinID = $PSItem.BulletinID
              ComplianceState = $PSItem.ComplianceState
              ContentSize = $PSItem.ContentSize
              Deadline = $PSItem.Deadline
              Description = $PSItem.Description
              ErrorCode = $PSItem.ErrorCode
              EstimatedInstallTime = $PSItem.EstimatedInstallTime
              EvaluationState = $PSItem.EvaluationState
              ExclusiveUpdate = $PSItem.ExclusiveUpdate
              FullName = $PSItem.FullName
              MaxExecutionTime = $PSItem.MaxExecutionTime
              Name = $PSItem.Name
              NextUserScheduledTime = $PSItem.NextUserScheduledTime
              NotifyUser = $PSItem.NotifyUser
              OverrideServiceWindows = $PSItem.OverrideServiceWindows
              Publisher = $PSItem.Publisher
              StartTime = $PSItem.StartTime
              Type = $PSItem.Type
              UpdateID = $PSItem.UpdateID
              URL = $PSItem.URL
              UserUIExperience = $PSItem.UserUIExperience
          } 
          Invoke-CimMethod -ClassName CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManager -MethodName InstallUpdates -Namespace 'ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK' -Arguments $Arguments
      }
      Invoke-CimMethod : Invalid parameter "ExclusiveUpdate"
      At line:26 char:5
      +     Invoke-CimMethod -ClassName CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManager -MethodNam ...
      +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (ROOT\ccm\Client...eUpdatesManager:String) [Invoke-CimMethod], CimException
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80041002,Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimCmdlets.InvokeCimMethodCommand

It's odd but the only parameter it wants is CCMUpdates which is in none of the properties.

(Get-CimClass -ClassName CCM_SoftwareUpdatesManager -Namespace 'ROOT\ccm\ClientSDK').CimClassMethods['InstallUpdates']

Name           ReturnType Parameters   Qualifiers           
      ----           ---------- ----------   ----------           
      InstallUpdates     UInt32 {CCMUpdates} {implemented, static}
    Andrew Palmer
    Participant

Any more ideas from anyone before I consider being beaten? 🙁

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

That particular class, if I'm seeing this correctly, is built using a kind of odd underlying provider. I think .NET is having trouble connecting to it properly. Keep in mind that CIM is basically native code, and this particular one doesn't appear to be entirely complying with the interface standards. Which, given SCCM, perhaps is not shocking.

Andrew Palmer
    Participant

Thanks Don.
    I'll maybe then have to just resort to wrapping the WMI inside an Invoke-Command as I need to utilise WinRM.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.