Author Posts

September 12, 2018 at 11:27 am

Hi All,

Can you please help me in converting below string to array. I would like to see the names before colons as column heading and the respective data as value under the column.

String:

"Name: Microsoft.SystemCenter.DataProtectionManager.Alert

AlertStringName: DPM: This is a test alert

Source: XYZ-Weekly "

September 12, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Try split:

$array = 'Name: Microsoft.SystemCenter.DataProtectionManager.Alert' -split ':'

$array[0]

$array

September 12, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Not so much an array as a custom object, then.

The simplest approach is to modify the string so that ConvertFrom-StringData can parse it. This means replacing the first : on every line with an = sign.

$ObjectData = $String -replace '^(?< =[^:]+):','=' | ConvertFrom-StringData

Do note that for whatever reason this forum inserts a space between the < and = characters; please remove that before use. It's not meant to be there! That regex expression broken apart goes like this:

"
^      -- anchor to the beginning of the line
(?< =   -- lookbehind; this is used to locate the rest of the match but will not be replaced
[^:]+  -- Match any number of characters that are NOT the ':' character
)      -- End lookahead. Up to here, we're saying "ensure there are no : before this next part"
:      -- Match the ':' character (combined with the lookbehind, this will get only the first one)
"

Only the : character gets replaced, but it's anchored to the beginning of each line such that subsequent ones aren't touched.

September 12, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Thank you Joel for your response but I'm getting error while running the code:

error: "The regular expression pattern ^(?< =[^:]+): is not valid"

September 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm

Thank you Rob, I have two colons in a single line in my string .. How to split only at the first colon?

September 12, 2018 at 2:45 pm

If you split by colon, the operation applies to all colons. You can use indexing against the split result how Rob has shown in his example.

September 12, 2018 at 6:14 pm

As I mentioned, make sure you remove the space from the pattern; this forum won't let me enter the pattern correctly. The < and = should have no space between them. I rechecked it, to be sure, and there's one other modification you need to make to the pattern. Been a while since I had to use this, so there's a few extra steps that escape my memory.

$Hashtables = $string -split '\n' -replace '(?< =^[^\:]+)\:','=' | ConvertFrom-StringData
$Compiled = @{}
# ConvertFrom-StringData seems to make an array of hashtables, so it's a bit extra work here
foreach ($Table in $Hashtables) {
    $Compiled += $Table
}
$object = [PSCustomObject]$Compiled

It may be a little more effective to just do a complete match pattern, but that is a bit less flexible.

September 13, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Joel, it's working fine now.