ConvertTo-HTML does not preserve single column heading

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tim Curwick Tim Curwick 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tim Curwick
    Tim Curwick
    Participant

When an array of objects is piped to ConvertTo-HTML, it creates a table with the object property names as column headers. But if the objects only have a single property, the resultant table has an asterisk for the column header instead of the property name.

# Example with two properties, expected behavior
    Get-Service Appi* | Select Name, Status | ConvertTo-HTML -Fragment

Results in: (the web page trashes the resulting html here, but you get the idea)

NameStatus
    AppIDSvcStopped
    AppinfoRunning

#  Example with one property, undesired behavior
    Get-Service Appi* | Select Name | ConvertTo-HTML -Fragment

Results in:

AppIDSvc
    Appinfo

Is this a bug, or is this behavior desired for some reason that I am not understanding?

Profile photo of Matt Bloomfield
    Matt Bloomfield
    Participant

According to a cursory search, this behaviour has been around for a while. I can't see a bug report for it on user voice though.

The bug only rears its head if you pipe Select-Object to Convertto-HTML. You can have a single column if you use the -property parameter:

Get-Service Appi* | ConvertTo-Html -Property Name -Fragment

Tim Curwick
    Participant

Matt,

It was the lack of fixes or bug reports over the last few version of PowerShell that prompted me to ask the community if I was missing something before I posted a bug report.

It shows the undesired behavior any time you pipe an array of objects with only one property to it without explicitly using the -Property parameter. (The Select statement was just a simple way to reproduce an object with a single property.)

Thank you for the workaround.

Tim Curwick
    Participant
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.