ConvertTo-Json returns Count PSObject as well

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ken B 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Ken B
    Participant

ConvertTo-Json returns two PSObjects. One is a count of the number of records and two is the actual json string. I am having difficulty getting the JSON portion from my C# application with the SharePoint environment and was wondering if there is a way to return just the json string and not the count psobject from within my powershell script?

Don Jones
    Keymaster

There's no way to modify what the command does, but you can certainly just keep the object you want. $results[1] would be the second object from $results, for example.

Jeremy Murrah
    Participant

not sure if I'm seeing what you're seeing, but if I use convertto-json on a psobject I get a single json output. One of those properties happens to be PropertyCount, but it doesn't look to be a separate object at all. You could use the excludeproperty parameter of select-object to filter that out before converting to a json

$object | select -excludeproperty PropertyCount | convertto-json

Ken B
    Participant

Don, Thanks but I tried that knowing every other manner I invoke() the PS script it does return two PSObjects with the exception of the SharePoint environment. I even tried to slow things down and use an asynch approach. Hence the reason I'm trying to handle it on the PS side.

Jeremy, Nice try! I thought you had it but no luck. Thanks.

Jeremy Murrah
    Participant

can you share any code? otherwise we're really just guessing at what you're doing. All PSobjects are not created equal.

Ken B
    Participant

Here is my code. Works perfectly within a console or web app. Just not in SharePoint. As you can see in the commented code I've tried multiple methods. I did not try PSCustomObject. I exclude the first psobject[0] based on it's length which I know to be two characters. If I just ask for the second it would throw an exception as it does not exist.

using (PowerShell shell = PowerShell.Create()) { 

// Add the script to the PowerShell object
    			        shell.Commands.AddScript(LoadFile());

// Execute the script
    		        	//Collection results = shell.Invoke();
                        //PSObject result = (PSObject)results[1];
                        PSDataCollection outputCollection = new PSDataCollection();

// Execute the script
                        //System.Collections.ObjectModel.Collection results = shell.Invoke();

// begin invoke execution on the pipeline
                        // use this overload to specify an output stream buffer
                        IAsyncResult result = shell.BeginInvoke(null, outputCollection);

// do something else until execution has completed.
                        // this could be sleep/wait, or perhaps some other work
                        while (result.IsCompleted == false)
                        {
                            System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(250);
                        }

foreach (PSObject psObject in outputCollection)
    					{

if(psObject.BaseObject.ToString().Length > 10) output = psObject.BaseObject.ToString();
    					}
                        return output;
            }

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Ah. I did not pick up on the fact that this is C# and you're "hosting" the shell engine. OK. I can only presume that the script you're invoking it ending with ConvertTo-JSON, but that's a presumption you an correct me on if I'm wrong.

You're just dealing with an odd kind of environment. Unfortunately, I don't have a similar environment in which I can fuss around, but I'd probably end up taking a similar approach. Most of us here are used to using "just" PowerShell, which is pretty different in a lot of ways from hosting the engine as you're doing, let alone doing so from within SharePoint.

Ken B
    Participant

Spot On. That's why I posted here to resolve from the PS side. Seems like I need to take my efforts to the SP people.

$a = $accounts | ConvertTo-Json -Compress 
       $s = [String] $a.Replace('"',"'")
       return $s

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.