Copy-Item error from J Helmick course

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Daniel Krebs Daniel Krebs 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jeff Taylor
    Jeff Taylor
    Participant

I was runningt hrough examples from Jason's Lynda.com course on PS 5 and get an error trying to use Copy-Item in a ForEach-Object loop

PS C:\> $servers | foreach-object  {Copy-Item -Credential $creds .\cl21163_Groups.txt -Destination \\$_\C$\ }
    The FileSystem provider supports credentials only on the New-PSDrive cmdlet. Perform the operation again without specifying
    credentials.
    At line:1 char:29
    + ... ch-object  {Copy-Item -Credential $creds .\cl21163_Groups.txt -Destin ...

What am I doing wrong here? His example doesn't require creds but my servers do. I have my creds stored in a variable.

thanks

Profile photo of Jonathan Warnken
    Jonathan Warnken
    Participant

To use credentials you will need to authenticate and create a temporary mapped drive to the remote system.
    Something like this should work for you

$servers | foreach-object  {
        New-PSDrive -Name Copyto -PSProvider FileSystem -Credential $creds -Root "\\$_\C`$\" 
        Copy-Item -Path .\cl21163_Groups.txt -Destination Copyto:\
        Remove-PSDrive -Name Copyto
    }

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

A possible solution would be to use the New-PSDrive cmdlet with credentials before the Copy-Item cmdlet.

Best,
    Daniel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.