Create a mandatory parameter if another parameter is chosen

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Justin King
    Justin King
    Participant

Is it possible to define a parameter that is only mandatory if another parameter is set?

fast example:

param (
      [parameter(mandatory=$true)][string][ValidateSet("Option1","Option2")]$Mode,
      [parameter][string]$Option
      )

Basically let's say I'd like to set $Option to mandatory but _only_ if $mode="Option2". Obviously I can do this easily enough in the script outside of the param block, but I figured I'd ask if there was a more elegant way?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Nope. You'll have to add that validation logic inside the function somewhere. (Usually in the Begin block, but might need to be in Process if either of those parameters can accept pipeline input.)

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Well, technically you can use dynamic parameters, but that's even less friendly. 🙂

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

You can do what you're asking – that's what parameter sets are for – if you approach the logic slightly differently. Instead of an "Option" switch...

Set A:
    -Option1

Set B:
    -Option2 -Mode

Where -Mode is always mandatory, but only gets engaged if run with -Option2. This is more the pattern you see Microsoft use in the native cmdlets.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.