Create folder for entries in text file, and generate url.

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Create folder for entries in text file, and generate url.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 8
      Replies: 17

I am working on a refinement for a process – we pull a text file with a list of dates.

Each date gets its own folder, and each date is used in a URL after to pull data for that date.

EX: List of dates is

2019-03-31.957
      2019-03-30.956
      2019-03-29.955

We then create a directory for each

mkdir 2019-03-31.957
      mkdir 2019-03-30.956
      mkdir 2019-03-29.955

And put the URL for each after.

./curl.exe –url “https://some/url/date=2019-03-31.957 | out-file -encoding utf8 “F:\output\2019-03-31.957″

What I want to do, however, is pull from the text file the list of dates, create a folder for each, and then have the URL generate according to that list as well. I know I cannot do this with a static variable, and may possibly use a foreach loop, but this is way beyond me. Any advice or help is appreciated!

-edit

I have found something similar, and it looks like I can tweak it.

However, I’m definitely stumped on creating the unique URL using each line as a variable.

$folder=”C:\scripts\reporter\reports”;
      $datelist=”.\uniquedates.txt”;
      get-content $datelist | %{
      {
      mkdir “$folder\$_”;
      }
      }

Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 64
      Helping Hand
      $textDate=(get-content MyListofDates.txt)

foreach ($d in $textDate){
      new-item -itemtype directory $d
      ./curl.exe –url "https://some/url/$d" | out-file -encoding utf8 "F:\output\$d"

}
      Participant
      PowerShell
      7 lines

<textarea class=”ace_text-input” style=”opacity: 0; height: 17.6px; width: 6.59775px; left: 215.542px; top: 35.2px;” spellcheck=”false” wrap=”off”></textarea>

$textDate=(get-content MyListofDates.txt)
      foreach ($d in $textDate){
      new-item itemtype directory $d
      ./curl.exeurl https://some/url/$d&#8221; | out-file encoding utf8 “F:\output\$d”
      }
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

You’re made of magic, senor.

I was just editing in my proposed solution for the folders, but the URL problem was beyond me.

Is the $d variable powershell logic, or does it need to be predefined?

-edit, answered my own question. $d is a shorthand variable name for the built-in $date variable. Nice. Thanks again!

Participant
        Topics: 1
        Replies: 64
        Helping Hand

You’re more than welcome.

When I was first learning powershell the foreach loop was like a watershed moment for me.  It just made more sense after that.

Edit to add:

The $d has nothing to do with a built in $date.

Before the foreach loop we build a variable ($textDate) with content from your text file.  (you can type in $textdate.count to see how many elements are in it).  Then in the foreach loop we tell it for every item ($d) in $textdate do {something}.

I could have also called it foreach ($potato in $textDate){write-host $potato} to get the same effect.

Participant

I might have yelled “Eureka” out loud in the office when I modified it, ran it, and it started doing things automatically.

Theoretically.

And – okay, so the logic I’m seeing is that you are telling it, and it understands regardless of the name, that for each $item in $mytextfile , do {thing }

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Create folder for entries in text file, and generate url.’ is closed to new replies.