Create new automation OLE object

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Daniel Krebs Daniel Krebs 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tomasz Woźniak
    Tomasz Woźniak
    Participant

Hello,

I have been using the Amibroker program . It provides SDK to automate the work programatically.
    The application webpage [url]http://www.amibroker.com/guide/objects.html#AWindow[/url] describes all methods and properties of the application objects.
    The quote from the help guide:

[blockquote]Application object is main OLE automation object for AmiBroker. You have to create it prior to accesing any other objects. To create Application object use the following code:

JScript:

AB = new ActiveXObject("Broker.Application");

VB/VBScript:

AB = CreateObject("Broker.Application")[/blockquote]

However when I try to use the object the cmdlet new-object seems to fail.

PS C:\..\SkyDrive\Powershell\  $AB = New-Object  Broker.Application
    New-Object : Cannot find type [Broker.Application]: verify that the assembly containing this type is loaded.
    At line:1 char:7
    + $AB = New-Object  Broker.Application
    +       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidType: (:) [New-Object], PSArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : TypeNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand

I tried to add the following lines that I found on the web but it still does not work.

PS C:\..\SkyDrive\Powershell\  Add-Type Broker.Application
    Add-Type : c:\Users\Tomasz\AppData\Local\Temp\hduuug3r.0.cs(1) : A namespace cannot directly contain members such as fields or methods
    c:\Users\Tomasz\AppData\Local\Temp\hduuug3r.0.cs(1) : >>> Broker.Application
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-Type Broker.Application
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (c:\Users\Tomasz...elds or methods:CompilerError) [Add-Type], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : SOURCE_CODE_ERROR,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddTypeCommand

The following code that I found on the web displays Broker.Application object in the list

gci HKLM:\Software\Classes -ea 0| ? {$_.PSChildName -match '^\w+\.\w+$' -and
    (gp "$($_.PSPath)\CLSID" -ea 0)} | Out-GridView

So the question is how do I create a new Broker.Application object in Powershell ?

Thanks
    Tomasz

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Hello Tomasz,

The New-Object cmdlet defaults to create an instance of the .NET Framework class specified. You'll need to tell it to create a COM object instead.

$AB = New-Object -ComObject Broker.Application

Best,
    Daniel

Profile photo of Tomasz Woźniak
      Tomasz Woźniak
      Participant

Hi Daniel,

The COM object was the first I tried. The object created in such way did not have any expected methods or properties what confused me.
      Please see below.:

$AB = New-Object -ComObject Broker.Application
      PS C:\..\SkyDrive\Powershell\  $AB = New-Object -ComObject Broker.Application

PS C:\..\SkyDrive\Powershell\  $AB | gm

TypeName: System.__ComObject

Name                      MemberType Definition                                                     
      ----                      ---------- ----------                                                     
      CreateObjRef              Method     System.Runtime.Remoting.ObjRef CreateObjRef(type requestedType)
      Equals                    Method     bool Equals(System.Object obj)                                 
      GetHashCode               Method     int GetHashCode()                                              
      GetLifetimeService        Method     System.Object GetLifetimeService()                             
      GetType                   Method     type GetType()                                                 
      InitializeLifetimeService Method     System.Object InitializeLifetimeService()                      
      ToString                  Method     string ToString()                                              

PS C:\..\SkyDrive\Powershell\  $AB.visible

PS C:\..\SkyDrive\Powershell\  $AB.visible | gm
      gm : You must specify an object for the Get-Member cmdlet.
      At line:1 char:15
      + $AB.visible | gm
      +               ~~
          + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [Get-Member], InvalidOperationException
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoObjectInGetMember,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetMemberCommand

The Broker.Application object is supposed to have the following properties

Properties:
      •ActiveDocument As Object
      •Stocks As Object
      •Version As String
      •Documents As Object
      •Markets As Object
      •DatabasePath As String
      •Analysis As Object
      •Commentary As Object
      •ActiveWindow As Object
      •Visible As Integer

Am I missing something ?

Regards,
      Tomasz

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

The library is missing information that .NET/PowerShell requires to create the wrapper for the COM object with the correct properties and methods.

Check out below page which explains the issue and a clunky workaround:

http://www.sorrell.mcleod.co.uk/Scotty/powershell/COMinterop.htm

Best,
    Daniel

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.