Create New User in AD using -instance and setting msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Windows LiveUser43 Windows LiveUser43 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Windows LiveUser43
    Windows LiveUser43

Hey Guys,
    I am new to powershell but have consulted the help docs and a few forums but i am very stuck with this.
    The below script lets me set the $userinstance variable for the -instance syntax and then i have prompts for some other fields i would like overwritten. the outcome is the account is created but only with the variables that i've set, there is no department, groupings etc. set

I am then trying to set the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress so it wil work with lync online but it fails with "'set-QADObject : The term 'set-QADObject' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.'"
    am i meant to load a new cmdlet for QADobject to work?

$userInstance = Get-ADuser -Identity (Read-Host "Target Username")
    $firstname = Read-Host "First Name"
    $Lastname = Read-Host "Last Name"
    $Username = Read-Host "username"
    $NewName = "$lastname, $firstname "
    $NewUser = "$firstname.$"
    New-ADUser -Name $NewName -Instance $userInstance -SamAccountName $Username -GivenName $firstname -Surname $lastname -UserPrincipalName $NewUser -AccountPassword (Read-Host "New Password" -AsSecureString)

set-QADObject -identity $Username.Alias_Name -ObjectAttribute @{"msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress"=sip:$NewUser}

Profile photo of Matt Bloomfield
    Matt Bloomfield

QAD suggests that you're trying to use the Quest Active Directory cmdlets and the error is given because don't have them installed. Even so, I can't see how the identity provided for the account would be correct from the example you have given.

Try using Set-ADUser instead. The syntax will be slightly different, it will be something like this:

#replace userA with the user's sAMAccountName
    Set-ADUser -identity userA -add @{msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress="sip:$NewUser"}
    Profile photo of Windows LiveUser43
    Windows LiveUser43

hey, thanks for the reply.
    Your command worked but i had to slightly modify it so that the – in the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress did not get taken as a variable.

Set-ADUser -identity $Username -add @{"msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress"=$SIP}

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.