Creating a real-time console display

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Adam Bertram Adam Bertram 1 year, 12 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Adam Bertram
    Adam Bertram
    Participant

Sorry I wasn't more specific in this subject but I'm not sure how to describe what I'm thinking. I want to start a project that requires a stock ticker-like output in the Powershell console. I'm not sure where to even start with this. I want to provide a layout (text, console-based output only) that will have multiple "fields". Each of these "fields" will simply be the output of a Write-Host.

I want to run another script in parallel with this console layout that will send output from that script to this layout only by updating a specified field.

Here's my attempt at explaining this better in a screenshot. http://screencast.com/t/IMVyifeH

I essentially want a "ReplaceAndWrite-Host" cmdlet. Something that will replace text in a particular spot in the console and update it without any interaction.

How would I even start this?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Depending on what else is going on in that window, you can use [Console]::SetCursorPosition() followed by [Console]::Write() or ::WriteLine(). You can retrieve the current cursor position with [Console]::CursorLeft and [Console]::CursorTop , and put it back where you found it with another call to [Console]::SetCursorPosition() after drawing your stuff.

Alternatively, you can just clear the console and re-draw your entire UI on every refresh, if you prefer. Either way, it makes me want to go play Zork again. 🙂

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

(The console APIs will only work properly in powershell.exe, btw. Don't expect to be able to test that in the ISE.)

Profile photo of Adam Bertram
    Adam Bertram
    Participant

Nice! Thanks as always, Dave. The [Console] object is exactly what I needed. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.