Creating an array of directories

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Creating an array of directories

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
4 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Participant

I need to be able to adjust the permissions on a directory. Because the directory tree is quite extensive, I plan on only inspecting and changing the first three layers of a directory. So, a directory will be copied via Robocop (with /E /SEC /MIR switches) and groups will be added to the ACL for the first three layers.

Now, the first step is to create an array that lists the directories in question. I imagine using something along the lines of Get-Childitem -Path -Recourse -Force|where-object {$_.psIsContainer} but I need to account for the possibility that the top level directory will have no child folders or that they will only be one layer deep. I also need to go at least three layers should it goes that deep. I will not look past three layers as I imaging the program will take quite some time to run.

Once I have a list of the directories, I want the array to have two more columns- one with the IdentityReference and the other with FileSystemRights. Both of these properties come from Get-ACL |select -expand access. Once I get it populated, I will look for a certain string (those IdentityReference =Domain B) and change it to a IdentityReference for a different group in Domain B. I will not be replacing but adding. Anyway, I will then send this over to set-ACL to add these new groups.

I am not looking for the program but a good way of stepping through the directories-any ideas would be appreciated.

Get-ChildItem accepts wildcards as part of the path, so you can easily generate your list of directories like this:

function Get-SubDirectories
    {
        [CmdletBinding()]
        param (
            [Parameter(Mandatory)]
            [string]
            $RootFolder,

[uint32]
            $Depth = 1
        )

$path = $RootFolder
        for ($i = 1; $i -le $Depth; $i++)
        {
            $path = Join-Path -Path $path -ChildPath '*'
            Get-ChildItem -Path $path -Directory
        }
    }

Get-SubDirectories -RootFolder  -Depth 3 |
    ForEach-Object {
        $directory = $_
        $acl = $directory | Get-Acl

# ... etc
    }

Participant

Dave,
    While it steps through the directories properly -going to a list of three sublayers, the Get-ACL portion only returned what was a very small portion of the acl. I have taken your ideas and the below may yield all the results although I need to identify the directory each entry pertains to.

function Get-SubDirectories
    {
    [CmdletBinding()]
    param (
    [Parameter(Mandatory)]
    [string]
    $RootFolder,

[uint32]
    $Depth = 3
    )

$path = $RootFolder
    $total=@()
    for ($i = 1; $i -le $Depth; $i++)
    {
    $path = Join-Path -Path $path -ChildPath '*'
    $dir=Get-ChildItem -Path $path -Directory
    $total+=$dir
    }
    Write-Output $total
    }

$acl=Get-SubDirectories -RootFolder "\\NAS\Share\Agency Group Folder" -Depth 3 | Get-ACL |select -expand access

Write-Output $acl

Each output item looks like,
    FileSystemRights : FullControl
    AccessControlType : Allow
    IdentityReference : NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    IsInherited : True
    InheritanceFlags : ContainerInherit, ObjectInherit
    PropagationFlags : None

This is what I am looking for for each directory (three layers deep). I will toy around with trying to get the directory listed with each entry. If you know readily, please advise. Thanks.

The topic ‘Creating an array of directories’ is closed to new replies.