creating eventlog of all server, with all error and warning types day before

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A creating eventlog of all server, with all error and warning types day before

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Participant

So i try to create a eventlog script to get alle error, warning events of all server the day before.
    and i want to have it exported to excel but then for every server in a new tab.
    as you can see the script below, i have a little start but i stuck now.

i have a few things that i woul like to have and hope that you guys can help me with this.
    1- is it possible to list it out in excel but for every server a new tab to have a clear overview.?
    2- is it possible to see only that what happen yesterday?
    3- is it possible to create the script so that i can create a task schedule that it runs every morning and it creates a log with the date when the log is created?
    4- is it possible to have the detailes al showned and that the cel size is merge to the right size?
    5- is there a easier / simplier way to tell the script it needs to run on all servers?

$geteventsystem = get-eventlog -LogName system, application -EntryType Error, Warning -After (get-date).AddDays(-1) | Select-Object EventID, MachineName, EntryType, Message, Source, TimeGenerated, UserName | Export-Clixml '\\img-vm03\ict$\7.EVENTLOGIB'\eventlogIB.xml
    Invoke-Command -ComputerName img-vm01, img-vm02, img-vm03, img-dc01, img-dc02, img-db01, img-as01, img-fs02, img-ts01, img-ts02, sql01, sql02 -ScriptBlock`{$geteventsystem}

I hope you guys can help me with this

Participant

So i changed my script a little bit, so i think question nr 5 is solved?

$IBSERVERS = 'img-vm01, img-vm02, img-vm03, img-dc01, img-dc02, img-db01, img-as01, img-fs02, img-ts01, img-ts02, sql01, sql02'
    $geteventsystem = get-eventlog -LogName system, application -EntryType Error, Warning -After (get-date).AddDays(-1) | Select-Object EventID, MachineName, EntryType, Message, Source, TimeGenerated, UserName | Export-Clixml '\\img-vm03\ict$\7.EVENTLOGIB'\eventlogIB.xml
    Invoke-Command -ComputerName $IBSERVERS -ScriptBlock`{$geteventsystem}

Participant

1. you could but I think then question #3 will be impossible. The only method i know of doing this. But this requires an interactive session. I think it's better (and a lot faster) to just write a .csv file per computer and then import them into excel manually.
    2. You already have -after. With -before you could specify a timeframe.
    3. See 1
    4. Is kinda related to 1. I wouldn't go this far. Just output to csv and work your way from there.
    5. I guess your second script solves it more or less. I'd retrieve the servers using another method. Like get-adcomputer.

Participant

From what i can see That variable won't work. the reason being is that when the variable is defined it is going to be executed against the local machine and put in the $eventlog.

I did something that you are looking for. It seems to work against my servers.

'application', 'system'| foreach-object {get-eventlog -ComputerName server01, server02 -LogName $_ -EntryType Error, Warning -After (get-date).AddDays(-1) | Select-Object EventID, MachineName, EntryType, Message, Source, TimeGenerated, UserName } | Export-Clixml 'path'

The summary of what I am doing.

I have put into strings and then pass it along to a foreach-object script block These loop through the event logs. Get-eventlog has a -computername variable so i pass that along.

Participant

How do you meaan thhat Wei-Yen Tan,
    that the variable wont work..
    the cmdlet online liner that you uploaded how can i read this, will it get the log info from application and system?

Participant

As far i can see at the moment my script block wont run, is there something wrong with the scriptblock? is it not possible to execute a variable like that?

Participant

You'd be better off configuring event log forwarding – see https://www.petri.com/configure-event-log-forwarding-windows-server-2012-r2 for example.

Don't reinvent the wheel

Participant

We only have server 2012, not R2.

But why cant i create like a excel list for all the events?

any one an idea how to make it work?

The topic ‘creating eventlog of all server, with all error and warning types day before’ is closed to new replies.