Custom DSC resource not recognized

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron Jensen 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

mayuri naware

I tried creating the custom resource by following the blog using XDscResourceDesigner

I am able to import the module but when I run the Get-DscResource then I am getting follwing error ::

CheckResourceFound : The term 'AppPoolServiceAccount' is not recognized as the name of a Resource.
    + CheckResourceFound $name $resources
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,CheckResourceFound

I have also checked the folder structure it is as below:

C:\Program Files\Windows Powershell\Modules
    .psm1 (file)
    .schema.mof (file)

Any Help is appreciated 🙂

Dave Wyatt

I think your original post might have contained angle brackets, which the forum software currently eats and tries to process as HTML. Here's what the folder structure should look like:

C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\ModuleName

ModuleName and ResourceModuleName can be anything you like, so long as they match up between the folders and files. The schema.mof file will typically assign a friendly name to your classes so people don't have to remember something like PSHOrg_cSmbShare.

mayuri naware

Thanks for the reply ,

The folder structure is same as that you mentioned but path to the Modules folder is C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules and this path is included in the PSModulePath.

Dave Wyatt

Whoops, you're right. I had "WindowsPowerShell" on the brain and wound up typing "Windows\PowerShell" 🙂 I'll fix the previous post.

Don Jones

Also, check out the DSC Resource Kit modules – they exhibit the correct structure, and it might be easier to see it right on your own system.

Aaron Jensen

I don't know what your module name is, but it looks like your resource is named AppPoolServiceAccount. So your directory structure should look like this:

C:\Program Files
    + WindowsPowerShell
      + Modules
        + ModuleName
          * ModuleName.psm1
          + DSCResources
            + AppPoolServiceAccount
              * AppPoolServiceAccount.psm1
              * AppPoolServiceAccount.schema.mof

Have you imported your resource in your configuration block?

Import-DscResource -ModuleName 'ModuleName' -Name '*'   # I've never been able to import specific resources with Import-DscResource

What is the name of your resource in its schema.mof file? If it isn't the same as in the file system, it won't load. I don't remember if it is the same error you're getting, though.

[ClassVersion(""), FriendlyName("AppPoolServiceAccount")]
    class AppPoolServiceAccount: OMI_BaseResource

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.