Custom Function - Export MSI Package Codes to CSV File

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chicken Pecker Chicken Pecker 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Chicken Pecker
    Chicken Pecker
    Participant

I am a noob who has been handed the attached power shell script and instructed to append the output to a csv file. It sounds simple enough but I am making little to no progress on it. In order to run the script you will need to define a path to a msi package – this is done on the very last line of the script. When you execute the script it will output Product_Name, Product_Version and Package_Code. I need to export and append those 3 items to a csv file. When I execute the export function I receive a parameter error that bombs the script out.

Within the script I have commented out the lines of code I have attempted adding/manipulating to try and make this work. Any help or direction on this would be much appreciated. Thank You in Advance.

***NOTE*** The script will run on any msi file but you must specify the path at the end of the script:
    Get-MsiInformation "C:\path\to\msi\file\app_name.msi"

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Please replace the Add-MsiPackageCodeToCsv function in your script with below:

function Add-MsiPackageCodeToCsv {

Param (
            [String] $IsGa = $(throw "Parameter -IsGa [System.String] is required."),
            [IO.FileInfo] $MsiFilePath = $(throw "Parameter -MsiFilePath [IO.FileInfo] is required."),
            [String] $CsvFilePath = "C:\test.csv"
        )

$PackageInfo = Get-MsiInformation $MsiFilePath
        $PackageInfo['IsGa'] = $IsGa

try {

if (Test-Path -Path $CsvFilePath) {

$PackageList = @(Import-Csv -Path $CsvFilePath)

if ($PackageList.PackageCode -contains $PackageInfo.PackageCode) {

throw "$($PackageInfo.PackageCode) already exists in list of current package codes"
                }
            }

$PackageList += [pscustomobject]$PackageInfo | Select-Object -Property ProductName, ProductVersion, PackageCode, IsGa

$PackageList | Export-Csv -Path $CsvFilePath -NoTypeInformation
        }
        catch
        {
            Write-Error -Message $_
        }
    }

Add-MsiPackageCodeToCsv -IsGa 'Yes' -MsiFilePath "C:\path\to\msi\file\app_name1.msi"
    Add-MsiPackageCodeToCsv -IsGa 'Yes' -MsiFilePath "C:\path\to\msi\file\app_name2.msi"

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

I think you are over complicating it. When I ran the code, it returned a hash table. Typically, a function like Get-MSInformation would return a PSObject:

$props = @{
            PackageCode = $packageCode;
            ProductCode = $productCode[1];
            ProductVersion = $version[1];
            ProductName = $productName[1];
            UpgradeCode = $upgradeCode[1];
        }

New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property $props

Once you update the function, you would get:

UpgradeCode    : {50CA4F23-337B-450C-8576-7984A0FDE029}
    ProductVersion : 7.0.0
    ProductName    : VMware Remote Console
    ProductCode    : 0522e1ff-6290-467f-af84-d9b4eb3eeb09
    PackageCode    : 66a96973-bb1b-4dc5-9ecd-4bc2521149bc

versus:

Name                           Value                                                                                                                         
    ----                           -----                                                                                                                         
    UpgradeCode                    {50CA4F23-337B-450C-8576-7984A0FDE029}                                                                                        
    ProductVersion                 7.0.0                                                                                                                         
    ProductName                    VMware Remote Console                                                                                                         
    ProductCode                    0522e1ff-6290-467f-af84-d9b4eb3eeb09                                                                                          
    PackageCode                    66a96973-bb1b-4dc5-9ecd-4bc2521149bc   

To export to a CSV, it would be as simple as:

Get-MsiInformation "C:\users\rsimmers\Downloads\VMware-VMRC-7.0.0-2217084.msi" | Export-CSV C:\Users\rsimmers\Desktop\test.csv -NoTypeInformation

If you only wanted a single property, it would be:

Get-MsiInformation "C:\users\rsimmers\Downloads\VMware-VMRC-7.0.0-2217084.msi" | Select PackageCode | Export-CSV C:\Users\rsimmers\Desktop\test.csv -NoTypeInformation

Also, you don't need the return moniker, just the variable name will return the data from the function. Hope this helps.

Profile photo of Chicken Pecker
    Chicken Pecker
    Participant

Thank you all for the helpful information. I now have a working script that is exporting the needed information to a csv file.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.