DataType confusion with New-WebServiceProxy

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A DataType confusion with New-WebServiceProxy

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Participant

Hey guys. This is a long one, but stick with me – I know I'm missing something silly. I am working with a SOAP HTTP API and I am getting this generic looking error when trying to update an object that has a member of type UserDefinedField[].

Here is an attempt to use (create and apply to my object "entity") the datatype "UserDefinedField", exposed in the API:

PS C:\> $myService.GetType()

IsPublic IsSerial Name BaseType
    -------- -------- ---- --------
    True False ATWS System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol

PS C:\> $type = $myService.GetType().Namespace
    PS C:\> $udf = New-Object -TypeName "$type`.UserDefinedField"
    PS C:\> $udf.Name = 'Item'
    PS C:\> $udf.Value = '1'
    PS C:\> $udf

Name Value
    ---- -----
    Item1 1

PS C:\> $entity.UserDefinedFields = $udf

The error that follows:

Exception setting "UserDefinedFields": "Cannot convert the "Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewWebserviceProxy.Autogenera
    tedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefinedField" value of type "Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.
    NewWebserviceProxy.AutogeneratedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefinedField" to type "Microso
    ft.PowerShell.Commands.NewWebserviceProxy.AutogeneratedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefined
    Field[]"."

So, I get this kind-of. The API wants UserDefinedField[] and I'm only providing UserDefinedField.

So let's try to pass $udf as an array:

PS C:\> $udflist = @()
    PS C:\> $udflist += $udf
    PS C:\> $udflist

Name Value
    ---- -----
    Item1 1

PS C:\> $entity.UserDefinedFields = $udflist

A new error:

Exception setting "UserDefinedFields": "Cannot convert the "Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewWebserviceProxy.Autogenera
    tedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefinedField" value of type "Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.
    NewWebserviceProxy.AutogeneratedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefinedField" to type "Microso
    ft.PowerShell.Commands.NewWebserviceProxy.AutogeneratedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefined
    Field"."

So, this I do not understand at all. The API wants UserDefinedField and I'm providing UserDefinedField. Weird?

I dug a little deeper:

# 1) Existing datatype of the property, pulled from the API
    PS C:\> $entity.UserDefinedFields.gettype()

True True UserDefinedField[] System.Array

# 2) udf datatype
    PS C:\> $udf.gettype()

True True UserDefinedField System.Object

# 3) udf array datatype
    PS C:\> $udflist.gettype()

True True Object[] System.Array

So basically, my $udf is a single "UserDefinedField" and not an array, and my attempt to make $udf an array turned it into an object. The API didn't like either of these options; it expects "UserDefinedField[]".

It was here that I actually saw my problem (and solved it – kind of). I found that I could bypass my problem by referencing a different object with the correct "UserDefinedField" already set and set my target entity.UserDefinedField equal to the reference.UserDefinedField. The API handled this with no errors and I saw the changes reflected in the cloud service.

BUT, this is hackey and I know there's a better way to do this. What are some techniques/suggestions I can try to turn my $udf into an object that matches the datatype of $entity.UserDefinedFields?

Hmm, PowerShell's usually good about automatically casting single objects to an array of their type, but maybe that's not working with the SOAP adapter for some reason. Try this:

$type = $myService.GetType().Namespace
    $udf = New-Object -TypeName "$type`.UserDefinedField"
    $udf.Name = 'Item'
    $udf.Value = '1'

$entity.UserDefinedFields = $udf -as $udf.GetType().MakeArrayType()

Participant

Hi Dave, .MakeArrayType() turned my $udf object into the correct "looking" datatype:

`
    PS C:\> $udf = $udf -as $udf.gettype().makearraytype()
    PS C:\> $udf.gettype()

——– ——– —- ——–
    True True UserDefinedField[] System.Array

PS C:\> $entity.UserDefinedFields = $udf
    `

But, I'm getting the same error that I saw earlier:

Field"."
    At line:1 char:1
    + $entity.UserDefinedFields = $udf
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], SetValueInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExceptionWhenSetting

Weird?

Hmm... I'm not sure what's going on there. If I this API is something I can access myself, I can fiddle with it and see if I can find a way to get this working, but I don't think I'll be able to offer much help otherwise, at this point.

Participant

No worries – thanks for the input Dave.

The topic ‘DataType confusion with New-WebServiceProxy’ is closed to new replies.