DataType confusion with New-WebServiceProxy

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Testino 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Stephen Testino
    Participant

Hey guys. This is a long one, but stick with me – I know I'm missing something silly. I am working with a SOAP HTTP API and I am getting this generic looking error when trying to update an object that has a member of type UserDefinedField[].

Here is an attempt to use (create and apply to my object "entity") the datatype "UserDefinedField", exposed in the API:

PS C:\> $myService.GetType()

IsPublic IsSerial Name BaseType
    -------- -------- ---- --------
    True False ATWS System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol

PS C:\> $type = $myService.GetType().Namespace
    PS C:\> $udf = New-Object -TypeName "$type`.UserDefinedField"
    PS C:\> $udf.Name = 'Item'
    PS C:\> $udf.Value = '1'
    PS C:\> $udf

Name Value
    ---- -----
    Item1 1

PS C:\> $entity.UserDefinedFields = $udf

The error that follows:

Exception setting "UserDefinedFields": "Cannot convert the "Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewWebserviceProxy.Autogenera
    tedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefinedField" value of type "Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.
    NewWebserviceProxy.AutogeneratedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefinedField" to type "Microso
    ft.PowerShell.Commands.NewWebserviceProxy.AutogeneratedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefined
    Field[]"."

So, I get this kind-of. The API wants UserDefinedField[] and I'm only providing UserDefinedField.

So let's try to pass $udf as an array:

PS C:\> $udflist = @()
    PS C:\> $udflist += $udf
    PS C:\> $udflist

Name Value
    ---- -----
    Item1 1

PS C:\> $entity.UserDefinedFields = $udflist

A new error:

Exception setting "UserDefinedFields": "Cannot convert the "Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewWebserviceProxy.Autogenera
    tedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefinedField" value of type "Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.
    NewWebserviceProxy.AutogeneratedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefinedField" to type "Microso
    ft.PowerShell.Commands.NewWebserviceProxy.AutogeneratedTypes.WebServiceProxy1k_net_atservices_1_5_atws_wsdl.UserDefined
    Field"."

So, this I do not understand at all. The API wants UserDefinedField and I'm providing UserDefinedField. Weird?

I dug a little deeper:

# 1) Existing datatype of the property, pulled from the API
    PS C:\> $entity.UserDefinedFields.gettype()

True True UserDefinedField[] System.Array

# 2) udf datatype
    PS C:\> $udf.gettype()

True True UserDefinedField System.Object

# 3) udf array datatype
    PS C:\> $udflist.gettype()

True True Object[] System.Array

So basically, my $udf is a single "UserDefinedField" and not an array, and my attempt to make $udf an array turned it into an object. The API didn't like either of these options; it expects "UserDefinedField[]".

It was here that I actually saw my problem (and solved it – kind of). I found that I could bypass my problem by referencing a different object with the correct "UserDefinedField" already set and set my target entity.UserDefinedField equal to the reference.UserDefinedField. The API handled this with no errors and I saw the changes reflected in the cloud service.

BUT, this is hackey and I know there's a better way to do this. What are some techniques/suggestions I can try to turn my $udf into an object that matches the datatype of $entity.UserDefinedFields?

Dave Wyatt

Hmm, PowerShell's usually good about automatically casting single objects to an array of their type, but maybe that's not working with the SOAP adapter for some reason. Try this:

$type = $myService.GetType().Namespace
    $udf = New-Object -TypeName "$type`.UserDefinedField"
    $udf.Name = 'Item'
    $udf.Value = '1'

$entity.UserDefinedFields = $udf -as $udf.GetType().MakeArrayType()

Stephen Testino
    Participant

Hi Dave, .MakeArrayType() turned my $udf object into the correct "looking" datatype:

`
    PS C:\> $udf = $udf -as $udf.gettype().makearraytype()
    PS C:\> $udf.gettype()

——– ——– —- ——–
    True True UserDefinedField[] System.Array

PS C:\> $entity.UserDefinedFields = $udf
    `

But, I'm getting the same error that I saw earlier:

Field"."
    At line:1 char:1
    + $entity.UserDefinedFields = $udf
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], SetValueInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExceptionWhenSetting

Weird?

Dave Wyatt

Hmm... I'm not sure what's going on there. If I this API is something I can access myself, I can fiddle with it and see if I can find a way to get this working, but I don't think I'll be able to offer much help otherwise, at this point.

Stephen Testino
    Participant

No worries – thanks for the input Dave.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.