[Debugging API] Remote session debugging in PowerShell v5

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A [Debugging API] Remote session debugging in PowerShell v5

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Keymaster
3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Participant

Hi folks,

I'm playing with the remote debugging in powershell v5(preview) console by doing below, and it just works perfectly to me, the debugger breaks into the bp I set for the remote session.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Enter-PSSession -ComputerName localhost
    [localhost]: PS C:\Users\zhiyd\Documents> Set-PSBreakpoint -Line 5 -Script C:\test\test1.ps1

ID Script Line Command Variable Action
    — —— —- ——- ——– ——
    0 test1.ps1 5

[localhost]: PS C:\Users\zhiyd\Documents> . "C:\test\test1.ps1"
    Hit Line breakpoint on 'C:\test\test1.ps1:5'

At C:\test\test1.ps1:5 char:33
    + $DateTime = Get-Date;
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [localhost]: [DBG]: PS C:\Users\zhiyd\Documents>>

Now I'm trying to utilize the debugger API to do the similar thing for the my own PSHost(which in the below case, it is a console app), and I'm having trouble to have the debugger break into the breakpoint I set, here is the code snippet from my console app:

WSManConnectionInfo connectionInfo = new WSManConnectionInfo();
    connectionInfo.OperationTimeout = 4 * 60 * 1000; // 4 minutes.
    connectionInfo.OpenTimeout = 1 * 60 * 1000; // 1 minute.

using (Runspace runspace = RunspaceFactory.CreateRunspace(connectionInfo)) < ———–please note that this is a remote runspace { runspace.Open(); runspace.Debugger.SetDebugMode(DebugModes.RemoteScript); <———–tried with different options like DebugModes.Default or None, none of them helps using (PowerShell powerShell = PowerShell.Create()) { powerShell.Runspace = runspace; runspace.Debugger.BreakpointUpdated += HandlerBreakpointUpdatedEvent; runspace.Debugger.DebuggerStop += HandleDebuggerStopEvent; <—————I expect this callback can be hit when the script file(with bp set) was invoked, but it was never hit // Set initial breakpoint on line 10 of script. This breakpoint // will be in the script workflow function. powerShell.AddCommand("Set-PSBreakpoint").AddParameter("Script", "C:\test\test1.ps1").AddParameter("Line", 5); powerShell.Invoke(); Console.WriteLine("Starting script file: " + filePath); Console.WriteLine(); // Run script file. powerShell.Commands.Clear(); powerShell.AddScript("C:\test\test1.ps1").AddCommand("Out-String").AddParameter("Stream", true); var scriptOutput = new PSDataCollection(); scriptOutput.DataAdded += (sender, args) =>
    {
    // Stream script output to console.
    foreach (var item in scriptOutput.ReadAll())
    {
    Console.WriteLine(item);
    }
    };
    powerShell.Invoke(null, scriptOutput);
    }
    }

As a reference, the above code snippet is from the debugger API sample code on msdn at https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsdesktop/windows-powershell-f5c03f2d/sourcecode?fileid=98475&pathid=297240411, the only difference is that instead of doing an in-proc local runspace, my code is trying to create a remote runspace to localhost. This sample works fine(meaning bp can be hit and callback can be triggered) with local runspace, but here I would like to make it work for remote runspace, coz obviously it works on powershell console(v5) as I mentioned at the beginning.

Is there anything wrong or missed from my above implementation?

Thanks and appreciate with you help!

Keymaster

I think you're probably outside the scope of what a lot of folks here are experimenting with, particularly for a technology preview. I've not seen any discussions from folks looking to deal with the shell's new features from a host application perspective :(.

The topic ‘[Debugging API] Remote session debugging in PowerShell v5’ is closed to new replies.