'Learn PowerShell in a Month of Lunches' book club at work

Welcome Forums Non-Technical Discussions Teaching PowerShell 'Learn PowerShell in a Month of Lunches' book club at work

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Participant

I'm running a book club for 'Learn PowerShell in a Month of Lunches'  at work – thought I'd share how I've been doing it. I'm very interested in hearing what has worked for others.

• Book club lasts for 8 weeks
    • Meet for an hour each week (not during lunch)
      • 1st meeting we reviewed the schedule, master/apprentice topic, and 1st chapter of the book
      • Remaining meetings review the content of the four chapters read during the week
    • There's a Confluence page for each week's content so people can discuss and document importing topics and things that stood out.

Overall I think it's going well. People were still asking to join two weeks in. I didn't want this to turn into a teacher/student thing, but it seems most people are not able to review the content during the week so there hasn't been as much engagement as I was expecting. Would love to hear other people's stories and suggestions.

I already have 'Learn PowerShell Scripting in a Month of Lunches' books on hand to keep things going.

Participant

Hi Justin,
    How can I participate in this activity?
    Regards.

Participant

Hi Mohamed. I'm currently running though one internally at work. I'm not aware of any external ones.

Participant

There are several things to consider with this approach.
    What type of learners are you dealing with:

1. new, intermediate, advanced
    2. Visual or literal or hand-held

How are they using what they may or may not have learned in the sessions / materials to date?
    How are they sharing their experience?
    How or where are they seeing benefit to the delivery?

So, though you are trying to avoid a teacher student thing, often times it's not completely possible. You have to act as not only a curator but a mentor, even up to stopping by and seeing the use of the knowledge gained / or sowing them how to use it – live in whatever they are currently doing. Creating a repository of what they are writing to share with each other.

Just a few things off the top of my head form my efforts as an MCT professionally and an internal evangelist on the topic at the companies I've been with. Yet, be aware, this take a thoughtful, friendly and active engagement to create excitement and engagement from all who are willing. Issuing challenges, real ones, related to their daily work effort. Also, be aware of the drop offs, it's going to happen. Re-engage with them as to why, don't press them on it, and take that a indicator of what you may need to change and or include / remove.

Participant

Thank you! Great feedback, it really resonated. I find people are generally very receptive to the idea of learning, but the reality of what it takes to do so can be difficult to work through. Everything you said was spot on. Thanks again!

Participant

No worries. I been a teacher / educator / coach / trainer since I was 15, and now over 4.5 decades later, still doing that, well, outside of my current real job. So, I feel your pain. It's taken me two years to re-train the folks I work with in their efforts around engagements, and that effort continues. They have other missions / job (corp / personal), so, much flexibility and patience is needed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.