Deploy Custom PowerShell Modules to an Enterprise

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Josh Wright
    Josh Wright
    Participant

Hi,

We are looking to start using a number of various Custom PowerShell Modules in our business, some of which will be using during PS Remoting.

For this reason, I thought that it would be more efficient and convenient to have these custom modules deployed to "C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules" for quick use during Invoke-command and PS Remoting sessions.

I know that this can be easily achieved via Group Policy and the Replace File option or similar, but I don't think that this would be very efficient

The other option would be to possibly use a logon script to check if the files differ and update them – again, I wasn't sure if this would be practical.

Does anyone have any suggestions how we can deploy Custom PowerShell Modules centrally and keep them up-to-date in a timely manner with minimal administrative overhead?

My guess is that in the early days, we might update them to LIVE a couple times a week or month it would be great to barley worry about them and still have consistent functionality on each machine.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (my best is a logon script that checks to see if the modules have been modified)

Kind regards

Josh

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The best approach would be to ensure you've deployed PowerShell Package Manager and PowerShellGet, and then set up a private PowerShell Gallery. Nodes can then use Install-Module and Update-Module (which can be run whenever you feel it's needed) to pull modules down from your gallery. For example, scripts might proactively check for their dependencies as a first step, pull down whatever is needed, etc.

Obviously, DSC is another way to declare which modules a node should have, and to ensure they have the latest version.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

But to more strongly make a point – I don't think logon scripts are a good approach. You'll be forever maintaining that script. Each script should check its own dependencies, which becomes a way of documenting, in the script, which modules the script depends on.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.