Deployment: Check AD for computername else generatecomputername with prefix

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Siddaway 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

cem ozugur
    Participant

Hello, I'm a noob to powershell. I am trying to Check AD for computername if there is none based one the UUID then generatecomputername with prefix direct to AD. But i can't seem to figure it out.
    I got the following script which i want to keep building on:

$ComputerModel = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem | Select-Object Model).Model
    $SerialNumber = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_BIOS | Select-Object SerialNumber).SerialNumber
    $UUID = (Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystemProduct | Select-Object -ExpandProperty UUID)UUID
    # Workstations
    if (($ComputerModel -match "Precision") -or ($ComputerModel -match "Optiplex"))
    {
    $OSDComputerName = $SerialNumber + "-" + "WS"
    $TSEnv = New-Object -COMObject Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment
    $TSEnv.Value("OSDComputerName") = " $OSDComputerName
    }

# Laptops
    if ($ComputerModel -match "HP Compaq nc6320")
    {
    $OSDComputerName = $SerialNumber + "-" + "LAP"
    $TSEnv.Value("OSDComputerName") = " $OSDComputerName
    }

Richard Siddaway

You can simplify your WMI calls

$ComputerModel = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_ComputerSystem | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Model

$SerialNumber = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_BIOS | Select-Object -ExpandProperty SerialNumber

$UUID = Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystemProduct | Select-Object -ExpandProperty UUID

Not sure what you are trying to achieve after that as Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment is for working with Configuration Manager Task Sequences not AD

In any event the code you are using has some potential issues and I think it should look like this

# Workstations
    if (($ComputerModel -match "Precision") -or ($ComputerModel -match "Optiplex"))
    {
    $OSDComputerName = $SerialNumber + "-" + "WS"
    $TSEnv.Value("OSDComputerName") = $OSDComputerName
    }
    # Laptops
    if ($ComputerModel -match "HP Compaq nc6320")
    {
    $OSDComputerName = $SerialNumber + "-" + "LAP"
    $TSEnv.Value("OSDComputerName") = $OSDComputerName
    }

You could use a switch statement instead or an if-else but lets leave that until we've sorted your problem with AD

Can you show the code where you are accessing AD?

cem ozugur
      Participant

Thanks for the reply! That's another problem i am having. I can't seem to import the AD module in winpe, do you have any ideas?

cem ozugur
    Participant

Thanks for the reply! That's another problem i am having. I can't seem to import the AD module in winpe, do you have any ideas?

Richard Siddaway

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can import extra PowerShell modules into winpe

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.