Determine who is calling TestScript?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JC Ruiz JC Ruiz 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of RoelP
    RoelP
    Participant

The TestScript code in a Powershell DSC Script resource is executed by calling Test-DscConfiguration and by calling Start-DscConfiguration. Is it possible in the TestScript code to determine which cmdlet called TestScript?
    I have played with $MyInvocation but that didn't solve my problem
    Thanks!

Example:

Script MyScript
    {
      TestScript = {
        if "determine caller code" {
          Write-Verbose "Called by Test-DscConfiguration"
          $true #do not run SetScript
        }
        else {
          Write-Verbose "Called by Start-DscConfiguration"
          $false #run SetScript
        }
      }
      SetScript = { Write-Verbose "Execute some code here" }
      GetScript = { return @{ Result = $true } }
    }

• This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of RoelP RoelP.
    Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Nope. The LCM doesn't relay that information – from the script's point of view, there's no difference. Test is supposed to be an atomic and consistent operation – it shouldn't behave differently.

Profile photo of Nitin Gupta
    Nitin Gupta
    Participant

RoelP, I am curious to know the scenario that lead you to this question.

Profile photo of RoelP
    RoelP
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. My scenario is as follows:
    At the start of a Configuration I would like to log an event in the eventlog

I would like to only write this event when Start-DscConfiguration is executed, not when someone starts Test-DscConfiguration (which does not do any actual configuration).

This could be done with below example, but the problem is that Test-DscConfiguration -Detailed returns InDesiredState=$false. This resource should not prevent the Node from being in the desired state.

Example

Script Init
    {
      TestScript = {
        $false #problem: Test-DscConfiguration reports the resource is not in the desired state
      }
      SetScript = {
        Write-EventLog -LogName "Application" -Source "MyCompany" -EventID 1 -EntryType Information -Message "Starting DSC Configuration with parameter $using:Node.SomeParameter"
      }
      GetScript = { return @{ Result = $true } }
    }

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of RoelP RoelP. Reason: Added example code
    Profile photo of RoelP
    RoelP
    Participant

@Don Jones: the LCM may not relay this information to the script, but it sure knows it
    If you run Get-DscConfigurationStatus in the TestScript section, you get an error message: The ... cmdlet is in progress...
    ... contains Start-DscConfiguration or Test-DscConfiguration

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of RoelP RoelP.
    Profile photo of Nitin Gupta
    Nitin Gupta
    Participant

You are right, DSC doesn't support it yet and there is no reliable way to achieve it. Can you file a uservoice item for this functionality PowerShell DSC UserVoice ?

Profile photo of RoelP
    RoelP
    Participant
    Profile photo of JC Ruiz
    JC Ruiz
    Participant

Having exactly the same issue as RoelP (Writing to a log from inside a resource), I've followed Don's idea.
    In my case the workaround works perfectly (in WMF 5 !)

TestScript = {                      
                               $Lcm =  Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager 
                               $mode = $LCM.LCMStateDetail
                               return ($mode -match "Testing") 
                             }   

So maybe someone can reuse this.
    jc

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.