Disable-DistributionGroup and extensionattributes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Zemdegs David Zemdegs 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David Zemdegs
    David Zemdegs
    Participant

Greetings,
    Do you use extensionattributes? We do. Up until yesterday I assumed that extensionattributes 1-15 were one of those little bonuses you get with Exchange that remained exactly as you set them – forever. I have a truckload of scripts that add/change and remove values in extension attributes for all AD account types and everything works perfectly.
    Until, that is, you run that destroyer of worlds, 'Disable-distributiongroup'. I was doing some extensive testing on an application that allows people to make modifications to groups. I started by unchecking the mail enabled checkbox (on my application) and it went through and executed 'Disable-distributiongroup'. Just for fun, I tried mail enabling that group again and noticed that another field displayed in my app that came from extensionattribute5 had disappeared from the group object in AD. After troubleshooting, I discovered that the value of extensionattribute5 was indeed cleared by the running of 'Disable-distributiongroup'. Just for fun I then set a value in all 15 extensionattributes and lo and behold, running 'Disable-distributiongroup' cleared all of them!
    So the moral of the story is that if you use extensionattributes and expect them to be there after running 'Disable-distributiongroup' then you're in for a surprise!
    We run Exchange 2010 Version: 14.03.0248.002 btw.
    Cheers
    David Z

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Huh. Never knew that. You kinda wonder if it's by design or unintentional.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Mike Pfeiffer (my Exchange guru) believes it's by design.

David Zemdegs
    Participant

Bad design then. I'm sure many of us believed that extensionattributes were sacrosanct. At least now we know.

David Zemdegs
    Participant

btw where should I post to suggest to Microsoft that they should change it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.