disable - local security policy

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GoogleUser21 GoogleUser21 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of GoogleUser21
    GoogleUser21
    Participant

scenario – for certain reasons I have about 30 machines on a workgroup...once a month I have to go to each workstation and uncheck the below items.

go to local computer Policy > Right Click > uncheck disable computer configuration settings and also uncheck disable user configuration settings.

issue:
    I don't see the option to uncheck these items with something like the below using secedit.

secedit /export /cfg c:\secpol.cfg
    (gc C:\secpol.cfg).replace("xxxt = 1", "xxx = 0") | Out-File C:\secpol.cfg
    secedit /configure /db c:\windows\security\local.sdb /cfg c:\secpol.cfg /areas SECURITYPOLICY
    rm -force c:\secpol.cfg -confirm:$false

any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

even if its just a registry value it would be great to know where these values are stored.

Much thanks to everyone on this great board!

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Try to change the Options value in C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\gpt.ini to 0 and reboot at least once to check if it sticks.

[attachment file="gpt.PNG"]

GoogleUser21
    Participant

Daniel,

I know how to change values with powershell within the registry. Is there a way to change with value within an .ini file?

I notice the gpt.ini file has other values so I'd like to only change the option to 0 instead of replacing the entire file.

Your helping IS VERY VERY much appreciated!

Thanks Daniel!

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Sorry to the delayed reply. The following short script updates the INI file but only changes the Options line.

Param (

$FilePath = 'C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\gpt.ini',
        $OptionsValue = 0
    )

$Content = @(Get-Content -Path $FilePath)
    for ($i = 0; $i -lt $Content.Count; $i++) {

if ($Content[$i].StartsWith('Options=') -and $Content[$i] -ne "Options=$OptionValue") {

$Content[$i] = "Options=$OptionsValue"
        }
    }
    $Content | Out-File -Encoding ascii -FilePath $FilePath

GoogleUser21
    Participant

Daniel

I created the above script and the file isn't updated.

Note – I'm not getting any errors either. Do you have any advise?

Thanks so much !

GoogleUser21
    Participant

Daniel I figured it out.

the values are case sensitive. for options, within the ini file the O is upper case. Much thanks Daniel.

It would be nice to add some type of output to ensure that the value was successfully change. Any ideas on that?

GoogleUser21
    Participant

I just noticed that I can use a foreach statement to run this against multiple workstations, can anyone help me out on this one?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.