Author Posts

October 21, 2015 at 2:53 pm

So I have to come up with a script that will achieve the following. I've got all but the loop any help would be appreciated.
store the current location (as in C:\scripts)
test to see if a folder C:\output exists, if it does not, create it
prompt the visitor for a folder name (no C:\)
obtain a directory listing of that folder showing all .ps1 files only
place the results of this listing in a file named PS1_files_[folder name].txt in the c:\output folder
repeat this task as part of a loop until an empty string is entered
restore the present location (for example C:\scripts)

This is what I currently have.
$FolderName = Read-Host "FolderName"

cd C:\scripts

Push-Location

If (!(Test-Path -Path C:\output))
{
md c:\output
}
Write-Host $FolderName
Do {
dir $FolderName
If ($FolderName -eq $True)
}While($FolderName -eq "*")

October 21, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I'm confused but if you want to write the results of a search of a folder to a file

Do this. Keep in mind not tested wrote this on iPad maybe one of the seasoned guys can chime in if I'm wrong.

Also I would do this
}While (!($FolderName -eq $null))

but I think the Logic will result in an endless loop as the value of $FolderName is not being changed after first prompt. I would look into a function for this task.

Get-childitem -path $foldername -filter "*.ps1" | out-file -path "c:\output\PS1_files_$($foldername).txt"

October 21, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I'm probably way off written on iPad I will check when I get to work in the morning.

Function Get-psfiles{
Param(
[Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]
[string]$FolderName
)
If(test-path $FolderName){
        Get-childitem -path $FolderName -filter "*.ps1" | out-file -path "C:\output\PS1_files_$($FolderName).txt"
        Get-psfiles
}else{
          "folder does not exist"
           Break
}
}

October 21, 2015 at 5:16 pm

I see how to crate this loop but I cant get it to ask for input like it does with this.

cd C:\scripts

Push-Location

If (!(Test-Path -Path C:\output))
{
md c:\output
}
Write-Host $FolderName

October 21, 2015 at 5:21 pm

With a function you either dot source it or run it.

Get-psfiles -FolderName "c:\path of folder"

Or if you have ran it once type Get-psfiles in the console and hit enter it should prompt for a folder path.

October 21, 2015 at 6:51 pm

If you want it to repeatedly ask for input, you need to put your input prompt code inside of the loop.

Do {

#any additional code you want to run before the prompt every time the loop runs

#any additional code you want to run after the prompt every time the loop runs

} While($FolderName)

October 22, 2015 at 3:15 am

I was way off I think I need to keep my mouth shut when I'm on my Ipad. Here is the function that works.

it will create a file with the appended name like you asked in the folder c:\output in this case the file name was PS1_files_My PowerShell Scripts.txt. Like Curtis said if you want it to continue asking you can put the function in a loop just remove the mandatory field and add error handling for a null value.

Directory: C:\My PowerShell Scripts

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
—- ————- —— —-

-a— 10/7/2015 12:02 PM 2587 Agent-Load-Balancing-V1.0.ps1
-a— 10/7/2015 11:05 AM 1506 Archive-Unsealed-MPs-V1.0.ps1

Function Get-psfiles{
Param(
[Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]
[string]$FolderName
)
if(!(Test-path c:\output)){md c:\output}
If(test-path $FolderName){
        Get-childitem -path $FolderName -filter "*.ps1" | out-file  "C:\output\PS1_files_$($FolderName.Split("\")[-1]).txt"
}else{
          "folder does not exist"
}
}
Get-psfiles