DSC Cannot import PSDesiredStateConfiguration module

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Matt McElreath Matt McElreath 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Matt McElreath
    Matt McElreath
    Participant

We are having an issue setting up a Windows 2008 R2 server running PowerShell 4.0 with DSC. It looks like an issue with the PSDesiredStateConfiguration module failing to load. If I try to run any of the DSC cmlets, I get an error that the module cannot be loaded:

PS C:\> Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager
    Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager : The 'Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager' command was found in the module
    'PSDesiredStateConfiguration', but the module could not be loaded. For more information, run 'Import-Module
    PSDesiredStateConfiguration'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotAutoloadMatchingModule

And if I try to manually import the module, I get the following error:

PS C:\> Import-Module PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Import-Module : Cannot process Cmdlet Definition XML for the following file:
    C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\Get-DSCConfiguration.cdxml. The type
    initializer for 'Microsoft.PowerShell.Cmdletization.ScriptWriter' threw an exception.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Import-Module PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-Module], XmlException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Xml.XmlException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Has anyone run into this before, or know how to resolve it? We already tried re-installing WMF 4.0 and that didn't work.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Have you installed the rollup hot fix for WMF4?

Matt McElreath
    Participant

I don't believe so. I'll have to check. Where would I find that. I did a quick search but couldn't find it.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

It's perhaps easiest to make sure the machine is completely patched ;). I'm not in a good position to look it up right now, but I'll try to later on this evening.

Matt McElreath
    Participant

Something must have been hosed in .NET. Uninstalling WMF 4, then uninstalling .NET and re-installing both seems to have fixed the issue.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.