DSC for clients?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Warren Frame Warren Frame 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Graham Beer
    Graham Beer
    Participant

I was looking to experiment with DSC on clients. I know DSC was initially for servers but is any reason it cant be used on clients for configuration ?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

The LCM itself is exactly the same on clients. However, you may find that some DSC resources rely on commands that only exist on the server OS, such as WindowsFeature.

Profile photo of Justin King
    Justin King
    Participant

I expect a lot of custom module work to be done in order to get things right for clients. That said, in general I don't see "why not".

Profile photo of David Jones
    David Jones
    Participant

We use DSC on clients. Depending on how controlling your environment is will determine how far you can go. Clients tend to be squishy

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The downside for clients, potentially, is that the LCM doesn't really execute dynamic logic a la GPO, although there are ways you can work around that.

Profile photo of Greg Altman
    Greg Altman
    Participant

We just finished deploying 75 PC's using DSC for the initial configuration.
    Dave's right, there are some things that require 'creative' solutions.
    Some things to look out for – applications that do not install well without a user profile, and printers were a problem.
    Of course the pc's we installed were all desktops so no problems with them moving around much and in departments where they are generally the same.

Profile photo of Warren Frame
    Warren Frame
    Participant

It's not quite as flexible as group policies for clients... i.e. user context isn't an option, AFAIK, and when I asked, the answer was pretty strongly worded : )

That being said, if you want configuration management that extends outside your network perimeter, and that doesn't require domain connectivity, DSC is a fantastic choice. At $LastJob we did some testing through our load balancers and were able to maintain configurations on laptops traveling around the Internet.

Cheers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.