DSC getting stuck while installing .exe file

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Leandro Wajswajn Pereyra 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Deep
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I'm executing below script on my machine it is getting stuck with the below error can anyone help me out with this correct me with the steps to install .exe file.

SCRIPT
    Configuration NotePadPlus

{
    Node localhost
    {
    Package NotePadPlus{
    Ensure = 'Present'
    Path = 'C:\DSC\Softwares\npp.7.5.1.Installer.x64.exe'
    Name = 'Notepad++'
    ProductID = "
    Arguments = '\q'
    LogPath = 'C:\dsc\notepadplus_dsc.log'
    }
    }
    }

NotePadPlus -OutputPath C:\dsc\ -Verbose
    Start-DscConfiguration -Path c:\dsc\ -Wait -Verbose -Force

ERROR

VERBOSE: Perform operation 'Invoke CimMethod' with following parameters, "methodName' = SendConfigurationApply,'className' = MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager,'namespaceName' = root
    /Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration'.
    VERBOSE: An LCM method call arrived from computer MAD with user sid S-1-5-21-2686951965-2129314255-1211374589-500.
    VERBOSE: The -Force option was specified with the Stop operation. The current configuration has been successfully cancelled.

The console is stuck in the running state form long time...

Thank you in advance.

Eric
    Participant

I'm not sure if this will help, but we install the 32-bit version of Notepad++ using DSC with "/S" as the argument.

Deep
    Participant

Thank's a lot for your reply, Eric.
    However, it didn't resolve the issue.

Can anyone help me with this, I'm unable to install any of the .exe files...

Thank you in advance

I'm not sure if Package resource will be able to install a NON-MSI package since ProductId is required: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/dsc/packageresource

Also, your ProductId is an empty string, have you tried using the registry key name of HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\Uninstall for this product?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.