DSC Proxy Machine (Load Balancer)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Richard Gavel
    Richard Gavel

I want to try and use DSC to manage a load balancer that exposes a REST API. Some chef/puppet-like tools have the concept of a proxy node that acts as the real device for purposes of configuring another device. How would I handle this in DSC (assuming I write the resources for interacting with the API)?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

DSC doesn't formalize that concept, but I there's nothing stopping you from applying a DSC configuration to a Windows machine, and have your custom resources then do everything through the REST API.

We considered doing something similar to manage cloud VMs with DSC, but elected to use Terraform for that instead.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

The xAzure module is actually a good example of this. You deploy a DSC configuration to MACHINE1, for example, and it hits the REST API to do whatever you've asked it to.

Profile photo of

Have a look at this DSC resource I'm working on to manage a Citrix NetScaler as an example.

The DSC resource has a requirement on my NetScaler PowerShell module here:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.