DSC pull, Guids and multiple configurations

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Zemdegs David Zemdegs 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of David Zemdegs
    David Zemdegs
    Participant

I've just discovered the MVA on DSC and it's fantastic.
    I had one question on best practices for Pull configurations.
    I can assign the same guid to multiple machines that need to have the same configuration and I get that. What I want to know is how do people deal with one or more of these machines needing something extra DSC wise that the other machines with the same guid dont? Do you modify the resource with logic that checks the incoming computer name to define the extra bits or do you push the extra bits or do you do something else?
    Thanks
    David Z

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Well that's kind of the thing. If they're all pulling the same GUID, you don't really get to do differences. However, what you're after is in v5, partial configurations. You can have one master config that they all use, and then multiple machine specific ones for the machine stuff.

David Zemdegs
    Participant

Thanks – I guess v5 it is then. I wonder if v5 will address multiple layered hierarchies? Like having one "master" config for all servers, then another for all file servers, than another for 2012 file servers and a separate one for 2008 file severs etc.
    I guess one simple method of achieving that is to be able to assign any number of Guids to a pull client.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

You can tell any machine to pull multiple partials. So yeah, you can set that up. It's not magic – a machine doesn't pull a special config based on its Windows version. But you can tell it to pull one with that intent.

David Zemdegs
    Participant

The OS thing was really just an example of what people might expect from a partial configuration. The fact that configurations might be multi levelled. From what I can see on the doco for partial configurations is that for each different config, you need to specify a different pull server. I would've preferred the multi guid model myself.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

No, you don't actually need multiple pull servers. And v5 doesn't have to use GUIDs – what you read was outdated. You now specify a configuration name for each config, and they can all come from one server if you want.

David Zemdegs
    Participant

Thanks for that – this DSC thing is changing so fast!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.