DSC resources not beign seen.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Thomas Lee Thomas Lee 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Thomas Lee
    Thomas Lee

I am setting up some DSC demos using a set ot VMs. On the DC, I downloaded the DSC resource Kit (wave 10), unblocked the zip file, and copied all the modules into c:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules. However, none of the resources are shown when I do a Get-DSCResource.

The system is a Server 2012 R2 box, with ADDS, IIS< CA and most RSAT tools. It is running PowerShell V4. I attach a screenshot showing Get-DSCResource only finding the standard set of resources and a Get-Module x* that shows the modules are in the right place. Any clues? Or is DSC and experimental resources broken in Server 2012 R2? FWIW: I also tried moving these resources to every other module folder, just in case there was a pacticular one it was looking for – the result is the same.

Profile photo of Mariusz Serwin
    Mariusz Serwin

Can you run $env:PSModulePath and see if c:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules is listed there .

And make sure you install KB2883200 update .

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Did you unblock the zip file before extracting it? This is just a guess, but Execution Policy might be a factor here.

Also, you can try rebooting to see if that changes anything. DSC does some pretty aggressive caching of resources (unless you're running the latest PS versions and have enabled Debug Mode).

Profile photo of Tim Tanner
    Tim Tanner

Profile photo of Thomas Lee
    Thomas Lee

Dave: yes I'd unblocked the zip file (and mentioned in the OP FWIW!) and execution policy is set to unrestricted. The reboot did nothing.

Mariusz: Spot On. It turns out that you actually need three separate hot fixes, but you can get them all in one place: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=40749

Just make sure you apply them in the right order!

Onwards to DSC!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.