Author Posts

May 19, 2014 at 10:55 am

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a pullserver following the DSC book step by step, kb2883200 is insatlled on both windows 8.1 and server 2012 r2 (installed from eval ISOs and fully updated).
However, I keep getting this error:


PowerShell provider MSFT_xDSCWebService failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: ERROR: C:\Windows\Sys
tem32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\hu\Microsoft.Powershell.DesiredStateConfiguration.Service
.Resources.dll does not exist
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [], CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ProviderOperationExecutionFailure
+ PSComputerName : testpull1.test.com

The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1
+ PSComputerName : testpull1.test.com

What can go wrong if all the requirements are fulfilled?

May 19, 2014 at 11:04 am

There are two pieces to setting up a pull server. The first requires you to actually install the DSC Pull Server role on the server. Then, you can configure the role. Both steps can be accomplished in a single DSC configuration, but you have to have a DependsOn so that the role is installed first. The DSC Book's example does this. Did you ensure you did the same?

May 19, 2014 at 11:38 am

Yes, I've run the same config script as in the book. I'll try tomorrow with fresh VMs again, who knows!

May 19, 2014 at 5:11 pm

On my Pull Server that file lives in C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\en . My Google-Fu tells me that HU stands for the Hungarian language. It is possible this is just a language localization issue. Are you able to install the English version? If so, does that work?

May 19, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Thank you for your replys! I installed the English eval but set the keyboard imput to Hungarian. Modifying the language and imput settings didn't help so I'll do a clean and purely English install. This must be the problem since I've got the 2883200 update, the wave 3 modules and everything else right.

May 20, 2014 at 3:26 am

Installing servers with purely English language and keyboard settings solved the problem. Now I have my pull server and everything works fine, thank you!

May 20, 2014 at 5:31 am

Don or someone else, is that a bug that should be entered into Connect?

May 20, 2014 at 5:34 am

Dunno. Shouldn't be – I'd need to try and repro that before I'd call it a bug.

July 7, 2014 at 4:31 am

Just ran into the same problem.

PowerShell provider MSFT_xDSCWebService  failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: ERROR:
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\da\Microsoft.Powershell.Desir
edStateConfiguration.Service.Resources.dll does not exist
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ProviderOperationExecutionFailure
    + PSComputerName        : localhost

The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1
    + PSComputerName        : localhost

Thought I would be smart just copying the "en" folder to "da" – well didn't get an error, though the PullServer doesn't seem to be configured correctly (see attachment)

* EDIT: Guess I was too fast..
There is a service running on http://localhost:8080/PSDSCPullServer/PSDSCPullserver.svc/

Let me get back if everything in fact is working.

July 7, 2014 at 5:22 am

If you don't wanna take chances, just set the language to English. It worked for me.

July 7, 2014 at 7:16 am

Language is English but with Danish region. Everything seems to work so I am a happy camper 🙂

Best regards Stig

November 11, 2017 at 9:10 pm

I've got the same issue in a fresh Win2016 Eng from Azure :)))

[DC1]: LCM: [ End Set ] [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCHTTPSPullServer] in 0.0460 seconds.
PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_xDSCWebService failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: ERR
OR: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\en\Microsoft.Powershell.D
esiredStateConfiguration.Service.Resources.dll does not exist

But there's no such directory: "...v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\en".
The one that exists is: "en-US"

So it hasn't been fixed for 3 years at least 🙂