DSC

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stig Sörnsen Stig Sörnsen 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Istvan Szarka
    Istvan Szarka
    Participant

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a pullserver following the DSC book step by step, kb2883200 is insatlled on both windows 8.1 and server 2012 r2 (installed from eval ISOs and fully updated).
    However, I keep getting this error:

PowerShell provider MSFT_xDSCWebService failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: ERROR: C:\Windows\Sys
    tem32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\hu\Microsoft.Powershell.DesiredStateConfiguration.Service
    .Resources.dll does not exist
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ProviderOperationExecutionFailure
    + PSComputerName : testpull1.test.com

The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1
    + PSComputerName : testpull1.test.com

What can go wrong if all the requirements are fulfilled?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

There are two pieces to setting up a pull server. The first requires you to actually install the DSC Pull Server role on the server. Then, you can configure the role. Both steps can be accomplished in a single DSC configuration, but you have to have a DependsOn so that the role is installed first. The DSC Book's example does this. Did you ensure you did the same?

Istvan Szarka
    Participant

Yes, I've run the same config script as in the book. I'll try tomorrow with fresh VMs again, who knows!

Istvan Szarka
    Participant

Thank you for your replys! I installed the English eval but set the keyboard imput to Hungarian. Modifying the language and imput settings didn't help so I'll do a clean and purely English install. This must be the problem since I've got the 2883200 update, the wave 3 modules and everything else right.

Istvan Szarka
    Participant

Installing servers with purely English language and keyboard settings solved the problem. Now I have my pull server and everything works fine, thank you!

Profile photo of Jacob Benson
    Jacob Benson

Don or someone else, is that a bug that should be entered into Connect?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Dunno. Shouldn't be – I'd need to try and repro that before I'd call it a bug.

Profile photo of Stig Sörnsen
    Stig Sörnsen
    Participant

Just ran into the same problem.

PowerShell provider MSFT_xDSCWebService  failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: ERROR:
    C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\da\Microsoft.Powershell.Desir
    edStateConfiguration.Service.Resources.dll does not exist
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ProviderOperationExecutionFailure
        + PSComputerName        : localhost

The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1
        + PSComputerName        : localhost

Thought I would be smart just copying the "en" folder to "da" – well didn't get an error, though the PullServer doesn't seem to be configured correctly (see attachment)

* EDIT: Guess I was too fast..
    There is a service running on http://localhost:8080/PSDSCPullServer/PSDSCPullserver.svc/

Let me get back if everything in fact is working.

Istvan Szarka
    Participant

If you don't wanna take chances, just set the language to English. It worked for me.

Profile photo of Stig Sörnsen
    Stig Sörnsen
    Participant

Language is English but with Danish region. Everything seems to work so I am a happy camper 🙂

Best regards Stig

Profile photo of Jacob Benson
    Jacob Benson

On my Pull Server that file lives in C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\en . My Google-Fu tells me that HU stands for the Hungarian language. It is possible this is just a language localization issue. Are you able to install the English version? If so, does that work?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.