Author Posts

July 23, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Hi,

I have an AWS environment in which I configure instances from the same base image (AMI) using a DSC pull server. The base image has been syspreped.

I am using ConfigurationNames to configure the LCM as I have multiple servers performing the same role.

My problem is the instances created from my base image have the same LCM AgentID. I assume this is the reason they are initially configured correctly but sooner or later receive the wrong MOF from the pull server. This leads to somewhat interesting results.

Is there a way to ensure each instance has a unique LCM AgentID? How and when is the AgentID set?

Thanks

July 23, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Instead of syspreping and creating an AMI, is bootstrapping through userdata an option since creating the DSC pull server is fully scriptable.

July 24, 2015 at 12:05 am

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am syspreping as I need PS5 April Preview installed on my instances. I'm already using userdata to configure the LCM, I suppose I could install PS5 as part of my userdata bootstrap, but that requires a reboot and I would still need to configure the LCM.

July 24, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Turns out the AgentID is stored in HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\DesiredStateConfiguration.

If I make sure it's unique before configuring the LCM all is well.