Duplicate LCM AgentID's

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paul Kimber 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Paul Kimber
    Participant

Hi,

I have an AWS environment in which I configure instances from the same base image (AMI) using a DSC pull server. The base image has been syspreped.

I am using ConfigurationNames to configure the LCM as I have multiple servers performing the same role.

My problem is the instances created from my base image have the same LCM AgentID. I assume this is the reason they are initially configured correctly but sooner or later receive the wrong MOF from the pull server. This leads to somewhat interesting results.

Is there a way to ensure each instance has a unique LCM AgentID? How and when is the AgentID set?

Thanks

Adnan Rashid
    Participant

Instead of syspreping and creating an AMI, is bootstrapping through userdata an option since creating the DSC pull server is fully scriptable.

Paul Kimber
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am syspreping as I need PS5 April Preview installed on my instances. I'm already using userdata to configure the LCM, I suppose I could install PS5 as part of my userdata bootstrap, but that requires a reboot and I would still need to configure the LCM.

Paul Kimber
    Participant

Turns out the AgentID is stored in HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\DesiredStateConfiguration.

If I make sure it's unique before configuring the LCM all is well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.