Dynamic object Creation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  js 4 months ago.

• Author

Thom Schumacher
    Participant

I know that invoke-expression is a cmdlet I try my best to stay away from. This is the only way though that I can seem to create an object that I need to create dynamically during execution. Is there a better way?

Function New-DynamicObject
    { 
    param([string]$name)
     $newObject = (Invoke-Expression "[$name]::New()")
     $newObject
    }

js
    Participant

I'm not sure what you mean, like this?

$newobject = [pscustomobject]@{name='me';address='here'}
    $newobject

name address
    ---- -------
    me   here

Thom Schumacher
    Participant

you can create an object like this:

[int]$test = '1'

If I'm running code and I find while I'm running that I need to create a type called [somedevelopers.class] once I've imported their dot net class.. I'd need to do
    $test = [somedevelopers.class]::new()

I want to be able to detect that class name and then dynamically create the class. if you try to create a class with
    [$variableNameThatContainsTheDevClass] then you'll get an error from powershell.

So the only way I can create that class dynamically is to do what I've shown above. Was curious if anyone else had a better or different way of doing the same thing.

Olaf Soyk
      Participant

I'm not sure that I've got you right. What is it what you're trying to achieve? The simplest way to create an object in Powershell I can think of is this:

$MyCoolObject = 'Something completely arbitrary' | Select-Object -Property Name,Age

Now you have an object with the name $MyCoolObject and the properties Name and Age.

js
      Participant

So you want to store type names in variables? How about:

$type = 'int'                                                 
      $a = new-object $type   
      $a.gettype()                                                  

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType            
      -------- -------- ----                                     --------            
      True     True     Int32                                    System.ValueType    

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.