Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Dynamic Query with sql file name

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
3 months ago.

• Author
    joe

Participant

Hello,

I have n number of sql file in a folder like below.

dbo.sql1.sql

stg.sql2.sql

I want to create dynamic sql like:

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA='dbo' AND TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'  AND TABLE_NAME = 'sql1' )
    BEGIN

Table schema and name should come from the file name without.sql file.

I was trying something like below :

Get-ChildItem C:\Folder | foreach{$_.Name -replace ".sql",""}|
    foreach{"IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA= $_ AND TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'  AND TABLE_NAME = '$_' )
    BEGIN"}

Here I am not able to generate schema Table schema at the runtime.

Once it's done then I want to put this script in the .sql  file before the create command.

Thanks,

Participant
    Helping Hand

Basically, you want SQL query to be created based on the file name
    If the file name patterns are all same, then ...

Get-ChildItem C:\Folder -File | ForEach-Object -Process {
    $SplitFileName = $_.BaseName -split '\.'
    "IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA= $($SplitFileName[0]) AND TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'  AND TABLE_NAME = '$($SplitFileName[1])' )BEGIN" | Out-File -FilePath "c:\$($_.BaseName)-query.sql"
    }

btwn,
    I request you to use code formatting tags while posting code in the forum which makes other to easily understand your code, below link will help you.

joe

Participant

@Kvprasoon, Thanks for the reply now the dynamic query is working.

And in the second part I don't want to create the new file but in the existing .sql file  I have the table creation script and before the Create statement I want to append the newly created if exist command.

Participant
      Helping Hand

@Joe – You can append to a file, "Append – not prepend". So you can have logic to re create your existing query with multiple appends and yourself can do it. Just go through below documentation.

Get-Help Out-File -Full

Put on some logic and update when you encounter any problems, we are here to help you.

Participant
    Helping Hand

Color me confused, as I am having a really hard time trying to get what you are after.
    Bare with me, I'm old and halftimers kicks in, well, you know.

You are getting a bunch of files with this...

Get-ChildItem C:\Folder | foreach{$_.Name -replace ".sql",""}

Then passing those file names (dbo.sql1, stg.sql2) sequentially, to this ...

foreach{"IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA= $_ AND TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'  AND TABLE_NAME = '$_' ) BEGIN"}

... what exactly did you expect to happen?

In that second foreach, you are not passing any kind of executable command or statement, just a string with the filename.

Get-ChildItem D:\Temp\*.sql | 
    foreach{$_.Name -replace ".sql",""}

# Results

dbo1
    stg2

Why are you removing both .sql tokens again?
    Or did you mean to do this?

#  Remove the file extension
    foreach{$_.Basename}

# Results

dbo.sql1
    stg.sql2

and them pass that adjusted filename to this string?

foreach{$_.Basename} |
    foreach{"IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA= $_ AND TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'  AND TABLE_NAME = '$_' ) BEGIN"}

# Results

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA= dbo.sql1 AND TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'  AND TABLE_NAME = 'dbo.sql1' ) BEGIN
    IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA= stg.sql2 AND TABLE_TYPE = 'BASE TABLE'  AND TABLE_NAME = 'stg.sql2' ) BEGIN

The above is just passing a string without calling SQL to run it. Is that what you meant to do?

Then pass those to some other file to run as a SQL command, using either Out-File or redirects?

I am working under the assumption that these are different SQL instances, as per the .sql1 and .sql2

joe

Participant

@postanote Thanks for understanding my code, Actually I am Couple of days old in PowerShell. learn some basic and trying something. basically, I want to achieve what  @Kvprasson replied.

The topic ‘Dynamic Query with sql file name’ is closed to new replies.