Endless reboot

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Zuldan Zuldan 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zuldan
    Zuldan
    Participant

I have a server that is in an endless reboot (rebooting about every 5 minutes).

Is it possible to find out which resource is causing the reboot? I've checked the DSC event log and I can't see anything specific.

Job {D0DC5B75-D9F5-11E5-8202-005056A84384} :
    WarningMessage A reboot is scheduled to progress further. Configuration will be continued after the reboot.

Profile photo of Zuldan
    Zuldan
    Participant

So I've run Trace-xDscOperation and came up with the log below.

It's start to apply the partial config....the provides a list of resources it's about to process and finally says a reboot is required. I can't work out exactly what resource is requesting the reboot.

TESTSERVER01 OPERATIONAL 23/02/2016 8:43:04 PM Starting to apply partial configuration [PartialConfiguration]MyConfig.
    TESTSERVER01 OPERATIONAL 23/02/2016 8:43:04 PM Resource execution sequence :: [Registry]BlahBlah......x20 resources list here............
    TESTSERVER01 OPERATIONAL 23/02/2016 8:58:55 PM WarningMessage A reboot is scheduled to progress further. Configuration will be continued after the reboot.

Profile photo of Ed O'Connor
    Ed O’Connor
    Participant

Did you look/enable the analytic and debug logs?

Also, you could try inserting some logging into the DSC config

Log AfterFWRuleFileCopy 
            {
                # The message below gets written to the Microsoft-Windows-Desired State Configuration/Analytic log
                Message = "Finished running the file resource with ID FW Rule File copy"
                DependsOn = "[File]FWRuleFilecopy"
            }

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/dsc/logresource

This way you can tell the node to write a event to the Analytic log.

Profile photo of Zuldan
    Zuldan
    Participant

Hi Ed, yes I've enabled and looked in debug and the analytic logs. No luck with them.

Thanks for the process of elimination idea.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.